Ch. 20 Moonlight Masquerade

(Author's Note: Sorry for the confusion, but I just had to re-order these chapters based on the direction my story took. This was originally chapter 12, but chronologically, it makes more sense here)

   "C'mon, this way!" Rindo Kobayashi seized Torrey's arm and was leading him from booth to booth. It was the final night of the Moon Banquet Festival, and Rindo only had a few stops left on her eating tour.

"In my three years here at Totsuki, I've never missed a single booth," she declared proudly as they made their way through the central campus area.

"Wow, that's actually...impressive," Torrey admitted. "But don't you want to compete with your classmates to see who's best? I'm sure your booth would be killer!"

"Right you are. But that's why I don't need to compete- I'm already the 2nd best chef at this school! I don't have anything to prove. Making it to every booth is its own challenge, with delicious rewards!" Her tongue eeked out, danced around her lips, and then disappeared. Torrey had to admit, it was a lot of fun hanging with Rindo at the festival. He'd tried a number of exciting new dishes, and with all of the appetizing food around, Rindo was too preoccupied to make any advances. Bags filled with leftovers and to-go orders hung from each of his arms, and his stomach was filled to the brim. It was a good thing they were almost done for the night...

"Here we are! I heard a few of the other 3rd years talking about this place..." Rindo announced as they came upon Nao Sadatsuka's booth. The sign said "Macabre Bazaar", and there were all sorts of strange ingredients staring at them from glass jars. Really staring- Torrey counted at least three different types of eyeballs.

"Torrey! Welcome to my lair...I mean, my Bazaar." Nao greeted them cheerfully. She was wearing ominous black robes, instead of the Totsuki uniform, to go with the macabre theme. This booth was SO her.

"Howdy partner! Have you guys met before?" Torrey asked.

"No, but I absolutely adore this booth! Is that really 'eye of newt'?" Rindo asked Nao.

"It wasn't easy to get, but it's the real deal. Names' Nao Sadatsuka. I specialize in ghastly ingredients which for some reason seem to be very popular with the drunkards," she said while offering Rindo a hand. "I know who you are! You're Rindo Kobayashi, the student council's second seat! It's an honor to have you here."

"Why thank you! I guess my reputation precedes me...WHOA! Dried hog's tongue too? This place is so cool! I'll take two of those, an eye of newt, of course, some of those chocolate spiders..." Rindo proceeded to rattle of a list of another half-dozen ingredients. When she was done with her purchase, she proclaimed, "Nao Sadatsuka, we have GOT to be friends."

"Yes! I'm so glad that you appreciate this stuff. Most students ran the other way once they noticed the squid brains."

"Any chef worth her salt would know how sweet and savory fresh squid brains can be!" Nao and Rindo exchanged numbers, before waving good-bye.

"See you in class next week!" Torrey said on their way out. He hadn't gone far down the street before he noticed Soma's booth. Megumi was there too, and some muscle head was helping them clean the kitchen area. It looked like they were finishing up for the night. "Not a bad setup over here," Torrey said, announcing his presence.

"Oh, hey Waldenpond. Rindo-Senpai. You guys want some leftover pork buns?"

"What a dumb question. Of course we want some!" Rindo said, helping herself to a bun and grabbing one for Torrey. He had to adjust the bags on his arms just to take a bite.