Ch. 123 Casino Night, Part Seven: 99 Problems, But a Shrimp Ain't One

When Torrey had challenged Soma to this impromptu appetizer challenge, he made a decision that was both impulsive and calculated. A number of things had influenced this impulse, chief among them the sight of Etsuya Eizan, Torrey's former nemesis, berating Soma over his performance in the kitchen. It was the final straw, of sorts. The straws that came before it?

For one, Torrey had just recently been roped into a high-stakes gambling match, and his current actions were fueled by the leftover adrenaline from the experience. Another straw- Torrey had been somewhat of a passive participant in the events of Casino Night, thanks to both Erina Nakiri's decision to keep him out of the event and Kirari Momobamis insistence that he be included in the game of Spoons. Yet another straw- Erina's decision had confirmed the feeling that Torrey had been having for quite some time, the feeling that he was nothing more than a detriment to the future careers of his friends.

Thus, Torrey challenged Soma to dispel his own fears, to prove that he wasn't just a hindrance. He challenged Soma to help his friend improve. Whether this decision fell within the rules of Casino Night, was a separate matter entirely.

Another appeal of Torrey's challenge was the novelty of quickly devising and preparing an appetizer worthy of the Totsuki name. Such appetizers were prepared in class every day, but almost never in such a competitive format. He had to make something delicious, and he had to make it quick, before Soma's rotation in the kitchen ended and he moved to serving duty. Torrey's familiarity with Totsuki kitchens allowed him to begin his preparations instantaneously, since nearly all of the cooking halls were made of a similar design and function. The wooden skewers that he needed to locate, for example, were precisely where they should have been.

First, Torrey soaked the skewers in water and began rinsing and thawing several pounds of shrimp. The prep work for this dish was minimal, but if he treated his ingredients properly, the end result would undoubtedly be delicious. Next, he grabbed a large bowl and gave it a healthy pour of olive oil, gochujang sauce, and honey. Then he juiced a lemon over the bowl, and minced a few garlic cloves to add in as well. Tap tap tap tap went his whisk, and the marinade was ready.

Thankfully the shrimp had already been deveined, but Torrey still had to peel them. This was usually the most tedious part of any shrimp dish. Nimble fingers from his practiced hands eased this burden to a manageable status, however, and within minutes his shrimp were ready to go.

Rindo whistled, clearly impressed.

"You've been practicin', haven't you?" she asked, unable to remove her gaze from Torrey's hands. Her catlike pupils dilated noticeably. It had nothing to do with her feelings for her Kohai; it was an involuntary reaction from a talented chef admiring the skills of a peer.

A mystical location, known as the Zone, was where Torrey currently resided. In that place, one could only devote so much of their energy to a single moment in time, or even a single space in reality. He was everywhere and nowhere, physically present but mentally distant. Rindo's comment could be heard as clearly as a pro chef hears the sizzle of the pan and knows that the oil's ready, yet he tuned it out completely.

All this time, Soma had been making his own preparations. He had hesitated at the start, but only for a brief moment as he admired Torrey's decisiveness on choosing a dish and getting right to work. Once he had seen Torrey going for the shrimp, he grabbed some too, and that was where the similarities between their dishes ended.

From a hearty silver bowl filled to the brim with shrimp that he had peeled (a bit faster than Torrey, even), Soma poured the contents into a boiling pot of water. The raw shrimp were spun around the pot with a large wooden spoon, twisting, turning, and navigating the currents of the pot until their color had changed from stark white to pink. In a mere two minutes, they had completely transformed into a state suitable for entry into the cocktail sauce that Soma quickly turned his attention to.