Ch. 77 Regiment de Cuisine: 2nd Bout

While following the rest of the Council to their waiting room, Torrey notices an intimidating figure posting up just outside the door. The figure is Senzaemon Nakiri, a man who still commands respect despite no longer being the most important person at Totsuki. His wardrobe, consisting of a yukata tied with a fundoshi, and geta sandals, does nothing to diminish that respect. Only one man in the culinary world dares to defy him.

"Well, if it isn't my dear Father-in-law! Here to gloat over the results of the first bout, I presume?" says Azami.

This isn't an act- Azami is still in high spirits because he knows that the Regiment de Cuisine has only just begun. He's certain that the Resistance's early success will be short-lived. It's not like he sent his best troops out for the opening battle.

"Nothing so petty as that, I'm afraid. I'm actually hoping to speak with young Tormund, here. If you'll permit it, of course," replies Senzaemon, unflappable as ever.

"In my own effort to reduce pettiness, I won't disallow it," says Azami.

"Excellent. Tormund, if you will..."

"Buuut...I must say, I find it rather suspicious that you've chosen now of all times to pull my prized pupil aside for a conversation. After all, we are in the midst of a heated competition, and your loyalty lies with our opponent," says Azami, wagging a finger at Senzaemon. "I hope you don't have the audacity to plant any silly ideas in his head."

"I have no wish to further complicate Tormund's situation. My only aim is to have a conversation about cooking, with a former student of mine," replies Senzaemon. "You'll forgive me if I find it difficult to disregard my previous role as an educator."

Azami, waving his hand while yawning, is apparently bored with the conversation.

"Do as you will, Tormund. I implore you to make haste, however, since we will soon decide the participants for the second bout. With or without you," says Azami, proceeding into the waiting room.

A silence quickly settles over the hallway, while Torrey assumes that Senzaemon will be the first to speak. A few moments pass, however, and the former Dean remains silent.

Is he waiting for me to say something? What do I even say to him...I bet he's disappointed in me...

"H-hello, Sir. It's been awhile," says Torrey, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Indeed it has, Tormund. Indeed it has."

"Uh..."

"My apologies; I was just reflecting for a moment. You've come quite a long way as a chef, since I first found you at that bed and breakfast several years ago."

"T-thank you. It certainly hasn't been easy," says Torrey, finally relaxing a little. At first, he was expecting a harsh lecture.

"No, I would imagine not. Might I ask you a question, Tormund?"

"Of course, Sir."

"What sort of chef do you see yourself as?"

"Umm...what sort of chef? A good one, I guess...with lots to learn still, obviously! I wasn't implying that I've mastered cooking or anything like that..."

"Hahaha, one could spend a lifetime practicing the craft, and still be unable to make such a claim. I myself will never be able to. I suppose my question was a bit misleading. The question I should have asked, is why are you a chef?"