Ch. 50 Bringing the Heat

"Lastly...Nakiri and Waldenpond. Recipe's on the board, make sure it's done by the end of class...yada yada yada. Keep the noise down," said the instructor, settling back into her chair for the usual nap.

Erina turned around quickly to glance at Torrey. He noticed immediately, and smiled at her. She felt her face flush before turning back to face the instructor.

Out of everyone in the class...

Refusing to suffer the indignity of actually walking over to her partner, Erina sat down in her seat and waited for him to join her.

"That was a stroke of good luck! For you, at least," said Hisako. It was natural for Hisako to think that Erina would be ecstatic about her new partnership, while also lamenting her own.

"Yes, well, we will see about that," said Erina, scowling. Sensing her frustration, Hisako decided not to investigate.

"I guess I'll take my leave now..." said Hisako, clearly reluctant to join Nao Sadatsuka at the back table.

When Torrey finally appeared at her table, Erina didn't acknowledge him. She knew it was petty, but she wanted him to know that she was still ticked off.

"So...what's our approach here?" said Torrey, rubbing his hands together in mock anticipation. He was either unaware of Erina's anger, or doing his best to agitate her further.

"I think they always have us working in pairs so we can practice our communication skills in the kitchen," said Torrey. Erina didn't budge.

"Although a skilled chef let's his or her cooking do the talking, there's still a minimum amount of dialogue that needs to take place behind the counter. Even if it's nonverbal," said Torrey, watching Erina closely for a response. She rolled her amethyst eyes at him.

"Hey, that's a start! Blink once if you're the head chef, twice if you're the Sous." Her eyes locked onto his.

"You have to pick one! I'm assuming you want to be the head chef."

"How arrogant! You think you could possibly know what I want?" said Erina, finally snapping.

"Erina, up until recently, YOU didn't even know what you wanted."

"T-that's beside the point! Don't compare this to my mid-life crisis!"

"Am I wrong? Do you actually want to be the sous chef?"

"No! Of course I want to be the head chef."

"Then why are you flipping out?"

"Flipping out? Oh, you'd know if I was flipping out. This is so far from flipping out...this...this is flipping in!"

"Haha, if you say so. I'll just get started on the prep work then."

"Not so fast! We're still talking here!"

"So now you want to talk..."

"Yes! As a matter of fact, I do."

Erina's voice had been steadily rising during this conversation, and by now, most of the class had turned their attention to the surprisingly volatile pair.

"Maybe this isn't the time or place? We're kinda making a scene here," said Torrey, well-aware of the stares they were getting. There was a distinct absence of sound; though everyone had food to prepare, the other kitchens were dead silent.