Interlude: High School of the Dead, Part Two (Conclusion)

"We've joked about it before, but this time it's serious. Soma actually killed someone with his cooking," said Torrey, barely keeping a straight face.

"Just how bad was that mashup?" asked Ikumi, also fighting back laughter.

"Not funny! Not funny in the least," said Erina. "And when was the joke made, exactly?"

"Oh, that's right. You both missed it. It was something Marui said, the night you went into Soma's room," said Torrey, looking at Erina.

"What were you doing in Yukihira's room?" Ikumi asked, trying not to show her concern.

"Sampling a dish, of course! Why else would I have reason to venture into that pigsty?" said Erina.

"No reason, I guess. It wasn't a sausage dish, was it?"

"It was an egg dish! Anyways, it's of no consequence now."

"Right," said Ikumi, satisfied.

"Judging by that last text, it sounds like Soma's still on campus. Let's find out what he's up to," said Torrey, dialing the number. He put Soma on speakerphone.

"Yo, Waldenpond. What's up?"

"Where are you? We were just at Hall 13, so I figured you might be nearby."

"No kidding? Yeah, I was there with Tadokoro a few minutes ago. We were trying to get away from one of those zombie things when we ran into Sadatsuka."

Erina cringed.

"What, did she scare it away with a smelly dish or something? Haha."

"Actually it was the opposite! Once it got a whiff of her Iceland-Style Hakarl, it started following her around, and then she led it right out of the building."

"What's Hakarl?"

"It's rotten shark meat. Absolutely disgusting."

"You actually tried some?"

"How could I not? Psst...psst...psst."

"What was that?"

"Oh, that's just Tadokoro. She says hi."

"Hi Megumi!"

"EEP!"

"Anyways, we need to meet up and form a plan or something."

"Just head to Nao's room; she says you should know where it is. We've got snacks!"

"How can you be so flippant at a time like this! We're out here, frightened for our lives, and you're making snacks?!" said Erina, into Torrey's phone.

"Oh, hey Nakiri. Dont'cha think it's kinda pointless to try coming up with a plan on an empty stomach?"

"..."

"She thinks you're right, she just won't admit it," said Torrey.

Erina smacked him again.

********************************************************

Nao was correct; since Torrey had already been to her hidden room before, he knew exactly what to expect. Ikumi stepped in and was immediately awe-struck. She marveled at everything from the steaming cauldron to the suspiciously realistic pile of human bones in the corner.