Ch. 69 I Took an 18 Hour Bus Ride to Hokkaido, Now My Harem's Losing Strength

(Author's Note : I wanted to do a light novel title for this chapter, and this was about the longest title I could make thanks to the 80 character limit)

Torrey had just exited the ramen joint with Rindo when he felt his phone buzzing. Seeing that it was Azami, he panicked.

"Relax, Kohai. He's probably just going to give you his orders. I need to get going anyways- I've got a train to catch," said Rindo. "Best of luck in Stage Three!"

"Thanks Rindo-Senpai. I'd wish you the same, but I doubt you'll need it."

"Ha, I promise I won't crush your friends too badly. I actually have something special in mind for my challenge," said Rindo, winking as she left him at the snowy corner.

Torrey took a deep breath before answering the call.

"Sir?"

"Tormund! How are things? I trust that the exams aren't giving you any trouble."

"Not at all..."

"Excellent. I'd hate to see one of my star students getting expelled this early in the game."

Game? Of course this is all just a game to him, thought Torrey, bitterly.

"I'm sure you've noticed, but I took the liberty of placing you in the same group as my dearest daughter during the first few exams."

"Oh, I definitely noticed. It almost seems a little unfair..."

"Nonsense! There's no such thing as fair in this chaotic world, Tormund. You of all people should know that. She's one of the best, and you're one of the best. By pairing two of the most talented individuals together, I've afforded you the opportunity to push each other to new culinary heights."

"Thanks?"

"Unfortunately, I had to split you up for Stage Three. Knowing her, she probably won't take kindly to you keeping this part of the exam a secret from your Resistance comrades. Best to give you two some space at this point, I should think."

"If you say so."

"Haha! Trust me, Tormund. It's for the best. Don't worry; I'm sure you'll be reunited soon. How I've digressed...Rindo's already given you your assignment, correct?"

"Yes..."

"Splendid! Absolutely splendid. With any luck, the Resistance will be crushed for good by the end of the week. Then we can finally move forward with our real plans."

OUR real plans?

"Right, which means..."

"Aha, not so fast! I can't give you all the details just yet. You still need to earn my trust, and a victory in Stage Three will set you back on the righteous path! Rest assured, knowing that these plans will transform this disappointing culinary landscape into a wonderful Utopia!"

"Okay. Is that all?"

"Yes, yes. I'll leave you to it. I do have one piece of advice, though."

"What's that?"

"Show them no mercy."

*********************************************************