Ch. 38 Purging Totsuki

While locking up his apartment the next morning, Torrey noticed that his neighbor was doing the same. Looking over at Nene Kinokuni, he greeted her with a wave, and without so much as a word, they began the trek to campus together.

It was a rare morning without a Central meeting. There was nothing more to discuss- yesterday, Azami had made his ambitions clear. Anything short of a perfect record on Day Two would be unacceptable.

Nene finally broke the silence when they were about halfway to school.

"Remind me again- who is your opponent today?" she asked. It could have been genuine interest, or simply idle chitchat.

"The Vegan Cooking Society," said Torrey. Nene fought back a laugh. "What's so funny? Are you one of those meat supremacists who look down on the herbivores?"

"It's nothing so primitive as that. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Azami gave you such a meaningless assignment."

"Meaningless? If they're against his policies, then they're worth taking down, right?"

"It's true that their views don't align, which warrants their elimination. I was referring to the fact that he doesn't consider them much of a threat."

"I see...so he gave the rookie an easy assignment," said Torrey. Central's made up of the best chef's that Totsuki has to offer. Just because I'm a part of it, doesn't mean that I'm at the top, though. I still have a long way to go, he thought glumly.

"Indeed, but I don't expect you'll have much trouble with it. I'm sure you'll wipe the floor with them," said Nene.

"Huh?"

"I said, I assume you'll have an easy time of it."

"What?"

"When's the last time you cleaned your ears? I said..."

"Sorry, I heard you the first time. I just couldn't believe it." Is she trying to insult me, or compliment me?

"It pains me to admit, but I believe you have the skills deserving of a place in our esteemed organization. However..."

"However, you still think you're above me," finished Torrey. "Yeah yeah, tell me something I don't know, Noodle-Girl." Nene stopped abruptly in front of one of the larger cooking halls.

"My first class is here. I'll be taking my leave now," she said curtly.

"Later." What a pain in the ass... they both thought.

***************************************************

"Aww, c'mon Waldenpond! Just tell us what you're gonna make!" said Soma, pestering Torrey at their table in the cafeteria. Megumi and Ikumi were with them, too, along with Isshiki. He'd been joining the group frequently for lunch, since being relieved of his council duties.

"Now Soma, aren't you forgetting that Torrey's with the enemy? I can't imagine the Dean would approve of one of his valued chefs spilling their secrets," said Isshiki, winking at Torrey. Naturally, Torrey had already given them a lot of information about Central.

"You'll just have to stay tuned," said Torrey with a grin.

"Man, there're too many good matchups today. I wish I could see them all," said Soma.