Ch. 91 When Mars and Venus Collide

In the locker room, Torrey changes from his standard Totsuki uniform into his PE clothes, which seem uninspired by comparison. Just a plain white t-shirt, with navy athletic shorts for the guys and violet for the girls. It occurs to him that it feels strange to be attending a class like this.

I guess they had to throw in a few normal classes, even at a cooking school. At most schools it would be weird NOT to have PE, he thinks as he heads from the locker room to the gymnasium.

Torrey takes a seat at the bottom of the bleachers, and waits for the rest of the students to file in from the respective locker rooms. He does a double-take once he sees Ryoko and Yuki enter the gym.

"Hey!" he shouts, with a wave.

"Torrey!" says Ryoko, hurrying to join him. "I had no idea that you were in this class."

"I'm glad you're here," says Yuki, reaching him a moment later. "I thought it was just gonna be me and Oneesan."

"I was so excited to move back into the dorm that I totally forgot to ask everyone about their schedules over the weekend..." says Torrey. The girls each take a seat on either side of him.

"That's okay. How was first period?" asks Ryoko, turning to look at Torrey intently.

"It kinda sucked. Do you know Miyoko Hojo?" he replies.

"Ohh! That Chinese gal from the Autumn Selection! She was really good. Not good enough to make it past the preliminaries, though," says Yuki.

"Neither were we, Yuki," says Ryoko, suddenly overcome with grief. Her expression was enough to convey her disappointment to Torrey.

"I wish I could have been here for that. Apparently I missed a lot. Torched salmon, hacked monkfish, even a butchered turtle...from what I've heard, it sounds like it was a bloodbath," says Torrey.

"Whoa-ho-ho, what have we here...a menage a trois? I want in. Scootch yer cootch," says Rindo Kobayashi, wiggling her way in between Torrey and Ryoko like a reptile. Ryoko's brows furrow in frustration, causing Yuki to laugh. But only because she wasn't the one losing out on her spot.

"Rindo-Senpai?!" says Torrey.

"I know, I know. 'What's a soon-to-be-graduatin' Senpai like Rindo doin' taking a lame class like PE?'  Well, I thought about what you said during the Regiment, so I asked around a bit. Turns out, I really did get an F last semester after ditchin' so many times..."

"Don't you get expelled for failing a class here?" says Torrey, who just learned this about an hour ago.

"Usually, yeah. But since this isn't a cooking class, AND since I used to be on the Council and whatnot..."

"They let you retake it?"

"Yup. I practically had to beg Nakiri, though. I sure got an earful after that...boy, I"ll tell ya', she's one scary lady. It's no wonder that she was able to motivate all you chumps to study up for your exams! No offense," says Rindo, looking at Ryoko and Yuki.

"None taken," says Yuki, smiling because she just made eye contact with Ryoko, who's still fuming.

"Senpai! You really need to take this class seriously, then," says Torrey.

"Aww, it's so cute that you're concerned, Kohai. And don't worry- knowin' that you'll be here with me every day, I bet I'll get perfect attendance this semester!" says Rindo, putting an arm around Torrey.