Ch. 96: Angels and Demons

(Author's Note: Sorry for the delay; I've been procrastinating like crazy on my writing lately. On a more positive note, Season 5 of the anime finally started back up again! Even though a lot of people seemed disappointed with the direction of Shokugeki No Soma during and after the Promotion Exams/Regiment Arc, I love everything about this series and will probably continue to re-watch and re-read it every so often. Still haven't read the last volume, though.)

It was a grueling first day back at Totsuki, and by the time it was over, Torrey felt like several months had already passed.

His first two classes were arguably the worst, thanks to Miyoko Hojo. Then there was Miss Shiomi's ridiculous assignment in third period, which resulted in Torrey carrying a wild hog and a particularly curvaceous girl around campus (although tiring, this might have actually been the lone bright spot of the day). After all this, he had to fight just to stay awake during the 4th  period lecture from hell.

Of course, he could have returned to Polaris at this point to begin preparations for Friday's big Shokugeki with Hojo. But for some reason, he just couldn't say no to Erina...

Such is the life of a chef. Torrey is finally back at the dorm, after the long walk from Erina's office. It would be ignorant to call this the last hurdle of the day; his work is only just beginning. Luckily, he isn't alone.

He can't help but laugh as he surveys the kitchen, surrounded by his team of assistants.

"I really appreciate all of you offering to help me with this...but it almost feels like cheating," he admits. "This is basically a student council all-star team."

Tonight's lineup:

1st seat- Soma Yukihira

2nd  seat (former)- Rindo Kobayashi

8th seat- Etsuya Eizan

9th seat- Nene Kinokuni

? seat (former)- Tormund Waldenpond.

"Hey, wait a minute! You can't just go around telling people you're the 'former question mark seat'. Have some pride, Kohai!" says Rindo, smacking Torrey on the shoulder. This is a habit of hers that Torrey is already used to.

"Well it's true...Azami never told me what seat I was. I guess it wasn't really important," Torrey admits, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"It's quite a simple matter to settle, truthfully. Just take a look at the Elite Ten Council page on the Shokugeki No Soma Fandom Wiki. Taking into account that Megishima, Isshiki, and Kuga were forcibly removed from their positions before the Battle Royale, and looking at the subsequent promotions of Momo to the 3rd seat, Saito to the 4th, and Eizan to the 7th- while I myself stayed put as the 6th seat- that left openings for the 5th, 8th, and 9th seats, since Nakiri was still technically the 10th seat at the time. As you know, in the main story, Shoko Kaburagi was given the 5th seat, Julio Shiratsu was given the 8th, and Hayama the 9th. If my memory serves, neither Shiratsu nor Kaburagi has appeared in THIS story, meaning that your seat was either the 5th or the 8th, Torrey," says Nene, pushing up her glasses. Which were now glowing, for some reason.

"Ugh...you lost me as soon as you started throwing numbers around," says Soma. Steam was literally puffing out of his head.

"Yeah, that's when I started tunin' her out," says Rindo.