Ch. 121 Casino Night, Part Five: To the Victor Goes the Spoils

After putting their new plan into action, the Totsuki students rattled off a series of impressive victories at the table. Hisako sought the 1s-5s, Erina the 6s-10s, and Torrey the face cards. By the end of the 24th hand, the scores looked like this:

Torrey: SPOON

Erina: SPOO

Hisako: SPOO

Kirari: SPO

Sayaka: SPO

Yumeko: SPOON

"Psst, Erina," whispered Torrey. Erina hadn't noticed Torrey lean in so close; she flinched.

"W-what is it, Torrey?" she said.

"Our new strategy seems to be working. But..."

"But what?"

"We've been going at it for a while now."

"Phrasing!" yelled Hisako, who had also leaned in close to listen to the Torrey-Erina interaction. This earned them harsh stares from their opponents. "Apologies. I overreacted. It's just...the thought of Miss Erina and someone...even if it's Torrey..."

Rindo had heard enough. She marched right over to Hisako and whomped her on the back of the head. SMACK!

"Focus up! Kohai's life is on the line here, and he'll be holding hands with that Yumeko chick before the next round of appetizers are out if you don't get your act together. Is that what you want?!"

"N-no," said Hisako.

"And you?" said Rindo, looking towards Erina.

"Of course not. Torrey's future is at risk, as well as the reputation of my esteemed academy. As the director of Totsuki, it is my responsibility to ensure the well-being of both," said Erina, placing a hand over her chest.

"And Kohai! Just what do you think you're staring at?"

"Her...hand."

"Her hand's not there anymore!"

"You're right; I didn't even notice," said Torrey.

"Ugh. Where's Meat-girl with those appetizers anyway? My nerves are making me extra hungry," said Rindo, gazing around the room.

"She just ran back to the kitchen to grab another tray," said Torrey.

"Kohai...I oughta smack you, too. Why in the heck are you paying attention to Meat-girl in the middle of a life or death game?"

"What can I say, I like the server's outfits. They're kinda sexy, without even revealing anything. You know?

"Wow, I didn't expect such an honest and lustful answer," said Rindo. "What's gotten into you?"

"Don't say that like it's a bad thing. If anything, you're the one who's shown me that it's okay to speak my mind and be honest about my feelings. I have you to thank for that," said Torrey. It almost had the makings of a heartfelt moment, if he wasn't talking about checking out girls.

"Kohai..." said Rindo, welling up with tears.

"He-hem," said Yumeko, rising from her chair. "Torrey-san, I can see that I'm not the only one enamored with your bold risk-taking. I knew there was something about you, as soon as you spoke of your first gamble here. Though I didn't anticipate just how much you've affected the women around you. You truly are a remarkable person."