Ch.11 Another Star is Born

Shortly after agreeing to battle, Alice and Rindo left the arena. The details would be determined later; the important thing was that the agreement placated the aggressive women. That left Torrey, Soma, Ryoko, Megumi, and the last two judges who finally made their appearance.

"That was an impressive debut on the big stage, Torrey. You beat a council member with her own specialty!" Isshiki said with a smile.

"It was sooo good! Oh, hi! I'm Yuki, b t dubs," said the only judge whom Torrey had yet to meet. Her teal eyes glimmered under the arena lights, and she offered a hand with the vigor to match her personality. After Torrey shook her hand and properly introduced himself, Isshiki leaned in to whisper.

"It turns out that one of her pets got loose and trampled my turnips...I made her feel bad and she agreed to judge your match. But since she liked the cake so much, I might be able to get another favor or two out of the deal." Torrey laughed.

"Hey! Are you two gossiping about me?" Yuki punched Isshiki in the arm.

"Yuki-chan! I can't believe you just did that to your senpai..." Megumi was appalled.

"I would never! I was just telling Torrey about how upset I was when I found my turnips this morning..."

"Oh geez! I'm still really really sorry about that Isshiki-Senpai. Can I at least make you dinner tonight? I'll make anything you want!"

"I guess that might make me feel a little better..." Isshiki said, and as soon as Yuki looked away he gave Torrey a wink. Just then, Torrey's stomach rumbled, and the sound echoed throughout the empty arena.

"Whoa! Sorry, I haven't eaten since lunchtime..." Torrey apologized to everyone. They let out a collective GASP!

"WHAT?! You fought a Shokugeki on an empty stomach?" Ryoko couldn't believe it.

"That's crazy..." Megumi trailed off, remembering how easily Torrey gave up his breakfast this morning, too. Soma already had his phone out and was typing away.

"I gotta tell my pal at the school paper. I mean, you were gonna make the front page anyway, but these are the details that make a great story!" He seemed really excited about this bit. Yuki just stood there like she was thinking deeply about it.

"I'm even more impressed," she added.

"W-well, i-if you're hungry, m-maybe you can come to our d-dorm for d-dinner? We d-do owe you a m-meal, after all..." Megumi somehow managed to power through and complete the offer.

"That's a great idea, Tadokoro! Let's show him what we can do!" Soma was fired up.

"I'd really like that, but uh...I still need to check into my dorm. I don't even know where my suitcases went," Torrey said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"That's right, it's literally your first day here!" Ryoko said. Somehow it felt like she'd already known Torrey for quite some time. Torrey reached into his pocket and pulled out his schedule (again!), which also had his living quarters printed on it.

"Maybe you guys can help me find the place? Polar Star...huh, that's a funny name," he said while reading off the paper. When nobody said anything, he looked up. Ryoko looked like she saw a ghost. Megumi was mumbling something and fiddling with her hands. Soma's mouth was hanging open, and Yuki busted up laughing.