Ch. 83 Regiment de Cuisine: Dawn of the Final Day

The conversation falters, and Torrey and Erina stand together in awkward silence. They stare into each other's eyes for several moments, before Erina speaks again.

            "So...what DID you need to tell me? And just so you know- a girl might find it very misleading if you phrase it so carelessly," says Erina, crossing her arms.

            "Oh geez, I almost forgot! I had this dramatic speech all worked out in my head. First, I was going to mention the ups and downs I've experienced since transferring to this school, emphasizing the key moments that you've been a part of. Then I planned to thank you for always pushing me to be a better chef and a better person. Then, I was going to finish by wishing you good luck in tomorrow's match. 'See you in the 6th bout,' I'd say, walking away all cool-like. But after what you just told me...I don't know if I can go through with all of that."

            "Well, sorry for throwing a wrench into your poorly rehearsed monologue! If you did happen to mention those things, I might be inclined to thank you as well. You've also helped me grow as a chef and a person. But since you didn't say anything about them, neither will I. In any event, I must return to the kitchen as soon as possible. I...er, have many preparations to make, after all," says Erina. She's flustered, once again.

            "Right, right. See you in the 6th bout," says Torrey, who at least manages to salvage the last bit of his monologue.

            "See you," says Erina, as she turns back to the kitchen. When she returns, she finds a distraught Megumi Tadokoro pacing frantically around the room.

            "What's gotten into you?" asks Erina.

            "Me? O-oh, nothing...I just thought of something important that I need to tell Torrey," says Megumi, fidgeting.

            It can't be! Does she mean to confess, too? thinks Erina. What if I've unwittingly started a chain reaction of confessions?!

            "I s-see. W-well...he's still in the hallway. You can probably catch him, if you hurry," says Erina, suddenly nervous.

            "Really? Thanks Nakiri-san!" says Megumi, charging past Erina and through the doorway.

            "Hey, Nakiri? Why is your face so red? And...are you sweating?" asks Soma.

            "Absolutely not! It's simply a tad warm in here, is all. Now get back to work!" says Erina. As she resumes working on her dish, she continues to mutter insults at Soma.

            She must be under a lot of pressure right now, thinks Soma, completely oblivious.

            Megumi spots Torrey about halfway down the hall. Once Torrey hears her footsteps, he turns around uncomfortably, before he notices who it is.

            "Geez! You scared me, Megumi," he says. "I didn't know you could run that fast."

            "Pant...pant...wheeze...wheeze...sorry to startle you...I just...need to...tell you...something...important," says Megumi. She rests her hands on her knees to catch her breath.

            "Oh...okay," says Torrey. Another one?!

            Once she recovers, Megumi continues.

            "I remembered some really good advice that my mom gave me before I came to Totsuki. It might help you, too. She said that whenever you cook something, you should always make it while thinking of someone important to you. If you do that, your dishes will be a lot tastier!" says Megumi.