Ch. 31 An Unappetizing Arrangement

Torrey breathed a sigh of relief after his final class of the day. He was officially back. Surprisingly, he'd been more nervous today than on his first day at Totsuki, which really wasn't so long ago. By the end of that day, he'd already defeated a student council member in a Shokugeki and had earned the attention of almost every girl on campus.

Being away from Totsuki these past few weeks allowed Torrey to reflect on his experiences and gain a better appreciation for everything that the institute had to offer. Relieved to be back, he decided to walk the campus grounds and let the feeling sink in.

I haven't seen Ikumi in a while...I should probably let her know that I'm back in school, at least.

Torrey had no idea where Bowl-Soc was located, and when he found a student wandering the halls, he stopped to ask for directions. The kid glanced at Torrey's badge and quickly tensed up.

"Next building over, there's a huge sign so you can't miss it. I was just heading home to practice today's recipes! I swear I wasn't loitering!" He gave Torrey a salute and dashed out the door before Torrey had a chance to thank him.

When Torrey took a moment to inspect the badge himself, he realized that he'd been getting strange looks from most of the other students, too. They're afraid of Central. And why wouldn't they be?

Following the kid's instructions led Torrey to his destination. He hadn't been joking- the sign was huge. Donburi Research Society (Bow-Soc). Stepping into the room, Torrey was greeted with the sight of a dozen chef's working intensely at individual stations. They seemed to be making different recipes, and in spite of all the action, Torrey noticed that the room was spotless. Everyone was so focused that nobody noticed his appearance.

A familiar voice could be heard barking orders to the students. On the other side of the room stood Ikumi Mito, who was holding a clipboard while inspecting their work. She was always easy to pick out in a crowd, thanks to her short blonde hair and prominent tan. With a striking appearance, her minimalist summer uniform was hardly necessary to draw attention to herself.

"Make sure that oil's up to temp!"

"Those cuts need to be more precise!"

"It's too early to add the egg!"

"Noodles should be done already! Sheesh."

Torrey crossed his arms behind his back and strode boldly between the stations, still hidden in plain sight. He stopped beside Ikumi as she observed a student.

"Did you forget the onion again?" she asked, staring him down harshly.

"Crap! Sorry, I was so focused on the meat...I'll just throw them in."

"It's too late now! The fate of this dish has been sealed!" Torrey said dramatically. He didn't even know what this dish was.

"Gwaah! Torrey?" said Ikumi, dropping her clipboard as she jumped in alarm.

"It's been awhile!" he said, picking up the board and dusting it off before handing it back to Ikumi. She looked confused, like she didn't know if she should hug him or offer a handshake. They settled on an awkward hug.

"Woah! I didn't know Mito-san had a boyfriend!" one of the students exclaimed. Ikumi instantly turned to face the culprit.

"I do not have a boyfriend! He's just...uh...a good friend. And pay attention to your dish! The rice is already done," she said. The student cried out and quickly turned off his burner.