Ch. 129 Casino Night, Part Thirteen: It's a Long Way to the Top

"Wow, what a reaction from the judges! Let's just hope they're okay..." said Urara, who had mixed feelings about the way things were unfolding. The reactions had certainly caused a stir amongst the crowd, which was a positive, but it would be a bad look for Totsuki if they had to summon the medical staff. Such was the delirium that the judges were currently experiencing.

"Such an explosive clash of flavors! My first thought was that the Brussel sprouts came on too strong in the casserole, but the balsamic reduction on the side was absolutely fantastic and helped tie the whole dish together," said Geoffrey, regaining his senses as he took a moment to straighten his tie (which had somehow reappeared along with the rest of the judge's clothes).

"That was an experience," said Alex, recalling the strange vision that had been triggered by Torrey's casserole. "Am I the only one who feels like I was actually on a plane?"

Bobby shook his head. "I was definitely there too. Felt like it was raining cheese and Brussel sprouts, and then we crash landed into a balsamic ocean. That feels ridiculous to say out loud..."

"Not as ridiculous as the jet-skiing pig! Perhaps it was simply a reflection of the strong ham flavor present in this dish. Young man, what sort of ham did you use?" said Geoffrey.

Truthfully, Torrey had gotten caught up in the heat of the moment, and he'd spent far too much time watching Rindo. The ham, which was obviously an important component of a ham and cheese casserole, had almost been an afterthought and Torrey had been forced to add it in haphazardly before putting his dish in the oven.

"I think it started with a 'P'..." he said, embarrassed at his own carelessness.

While students were encouraged and even expected to provide their own specialty ingredients for Food Wars, Torrey found that the kitchens were always stockpiled with ingredients anyway and he relied upon this fact heavily. It was the same at his dorm- he always practiced cooking with whatever was available to him. Like Soma, his budget wasn't on the same level as most of his classmates.

Maybe I should ask Rindo to give me my job back at the sandwich shop... he thought, lamenting his lack of funds. That felt like a lifetime or two ago.

"That would be Presunto, then; the flavor is unmistakable," said Alex. "The saltiness really complemented the cheeses well, and didn't get overwhelmed by all the dairy."

"Judges, please take a moment to consider both dishes and make your decision," said Urara. The judges sat in contemplative silence, which seemed to stretch on and on. Time stood still in the arena, the audience members holding their breath.

"Psst, Kohai..." whispered Rindo.

"What's up?"

"Judging never takes this long. They must be havin' a tough time making the right call. While we wait, you mind serving me up a slice of that casserole? I'll trade you."

"Hahaha, sure thing," said Torrey. Less than a minute later, they both experienced exactly what the judges had as they were swept up in a wave of bliss.

"Gyaaah!" Rindo shouted, her skin now bared, and her attractive curves on full display. Torrey was too occupied to enjoy the sight, however, as he was also riding the wave of bliss without his clothes.

"You two couldn't have done that earlier, when the judges were tasting?!" yelled Urara, pretending to cover her eyes. It wouldn't be very befitting of an idol to ogle, after all. She still kept her eyes fixed on Torrey, however, through the small gaps between her fingers.