01| nicole can die for all i care

K E N Z I E

I've never been more irritated and furious with my dad than I am now. He's off on a week-long business trip, leaving me stuck here with Janice—my stepmother whom I absolutely despise. It's been a whole year of enduring her presence under the same roof, along with her daughter Nicole, who I also can't stand. I've longed to leave this place for ages, but I'm stuck until I turn 18 in six months.

When my parents split up when I was 14, it was my mom who moved out and got her own place. She lives in a small apartment alone, and I choose to spend my weekends there. Under no circumstances would I want to be at home with Janice and Nicole. Thankfully, during the week, I don't have to see them for nearly seven hours straight due to school.

I avoid being at home as much as possible because I don't want to be around Janice and Nicole. Although I'd like to move in with my mom, my dad wouldn't allow it. Additionally, her apartment is too small for another person, and she already struggles to make ends meet. I don't want to burden her further by adding to her financial stress.

And I always try and help but she doesn't let me no matter how much I try to convince her that it's okay.

I share a closer bond with my mom than with my dad, despite only living together during the weekends. Despite residing under the same roof as my dad, Janice, and Nicole, I avoid communication with them. They spend time together downstairs, having family moments, while I remain secluded in my room. I only join them for dinner, which is always uncomfortable. At the table, I feel out of place, but I hide my emotions by appearing unbothered

I'm bitchy to everyone in the house. I never finish my dinner, I just take a few bites and then I leave the table to go back into my room, and I'm always on my phone, not paying attention to anything they're talking about or doing whenever we are all together. Which usually is never but during dinner, I have no choice but to be under the same roof as them otherwise I'll have to listen to Janice's twenty minute lectures which I get forced to listen to by my dad. So fucking whipped he is.

I don't consider them as my family, well apart from dad of course. I still love him but I also hate him at the same time. It's frustrating that he seems to prioritize them over his own daughter. He treats Nicole better and showers her with more attention. I hate her so much, always trying to show off everything my dad does for her. She tries her best to make me jealous with the relationship she has with my dad and rubs it in my face but of course I show no emotion and pretend like I don't give a shit.

Her mother is like a more intense version of her, entering my life and attempting to manage every aspect of it. She wanted to control my social life, stopping me from hanging out with friends or going to parties, typical teenage activities. Of course, she imposed no such restrictions on her daughter, Nicole. Despite Janice's attempts to control me, I refused to comply. I've always stood my ground and snapped back whenever she tried to control my life. Arguments with both of them have become a daily occurrence.

The thought of being alone at home with both of them while Dad's away on a week-long business trip is daunting. He's leaving tonight, and I'll have to endure dinner with them in a few hours, confronting the individuals I can't stand.

"So let me get this straight. You ended a friendship just because they admitted they love Matt from 'The Vampire Diaries'?" I overhear Max and Paige discussing, while I'm occupied texting Alex, my best friend for nearly two years. Unfortunately, he couldn't join us at Max's house because he had a date with a guy from our school, someone he's had a crush on since they made eye contact. He's completely freaking out at the moment.

"Yes, yes and yes, I hate Matt with everything I have in me. I would pay actual money to beat his stupid ass up and she also said Dylan O'Brien is unattractive which made me wanna punch her. Anyways I don't wanna see that girl's face ever again. No one disrespects the love of my life." She in general doesn't like the girl I'm assuming.

But also Max has some next level obsession with Dylan O'Brien, I mean she has pictures of him stuck up on her wall, her wallpaper on her phone is also him, her profile pictures are also him on every single social media account she owns.

"Max get help." I say while not looking over at her and still texting Alex who is currently about to go insane.

"Shut up and tell us about how the date with Alex and the guy he's been crushing on for an entire year?" Max asks me as she throws a pillow at me.

"He's freaking the fuck out." I answer.

"Let's facetime him then." Paige says as she grabs my phone out of my hand and facetimes Alex.

"Are you actually serious? You could have facetimed him from your phone." I groan.

- - -

I left Max's house an hour ago. We eventually helped Alex calm down, and now he's on his date with the guy whose name slipped my mind. I had no idea this guy even existed at school until Alex mentioned him; he talked about him non-stop to the point where I actually taped his mouth shut. I wish I were kidding.

"Nicole, dinner's ready, sweetie!" Just hearing Janice's voice sends shivers down my spine. I can hear her footsteps approaching my bedroom, indicating she's coming for me.

Fuck my life, I'm not even hungry.

I hear my door knob twist and Janice walks in.

"Hey, dinner's ready," Janice says, her tone quickly shifting to a sour one. She didn't even bother to knock on my door.

"I'm not hungry," I mutter without making eye contact or changing my expression. I'm glued to my laptop, seemingly engrossed in some assignment, but in reality, I'm playing a typing car racing game.

"I don't care, Kenzie. Get downstairs immediately, and I expect you to finish your food. Start showing some gratitude, like Nicole does," she scolds before abruptly slamming my door shut, cutting off any chance for a response.

No one gives a fuck about Nicole. She can go die for all I care.

-
okay so this is the first chapter, i hope you guys liked and enjoyed it. thank you so so much for reading this.

also if there's anything i can improve on with my writing please don't hesitate to let me know, thank you.

take care <3
- s