42| an awesome day.

K E N Z I E

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to dear Jade! Happy birthday to you!" Everyone slowly claps and watches as my mom blows out the candles on her birthday cake. My heart is about to fall out, I feel so overwhelmed because I don't want this day to end but unfortunately it does.

I watch as she cuts her cake into a slice with the biggest smile across my face, she lifts her hand and stuffs the cake into my mouth making me nearly choke. She does the same thing with Vanessa and everyone else.

"Happy birthday Jade." Nolan opens his mouth allowing my mom to put a small bite of cake in his
mouth.

"We got you something." Chase and Vanessa both speak.

"Oh my god! Show me!" She asks in excitement.

For the 100th time, I can't stop myself from smiling because it just makes me so happy and emotional to know that they all do care about me and my mom even though they only met her today. And having people who genuinely care this much about you is probably the best thing you can ever ask for.

"You can't say no. You have to take our present and if you don't then too bad because we're not taking it back." Chase finishes talking and pulls out an envelope. And I know exactly what is in it because what else do people put in envelopes when giving it to other people as a gift?

My goodness, Chase and Vanessa.

"Open it when you're alone." Vanessa places a hand on mom's shoulder and smiles.

"If it's too much then I am going to come at night and bang on your doors, telling you two to take it back. Other than that, I love you guys." She pulls them both in for a hug.

"My turn! Here and I want you to open it now for your reaction." Sam hands over a small box with a ribbon tied over it.

Mom gently opens it and when the present is slowly revealed, she gasps.

"Oh my god, this is beautiful." She looks at the necklace in the box with a shiny pendant on it, admiring the view.

"Open the pendant."

I have no clue what's in the pendant. I don't have a single clue about what anyone has gotten my mom.

She opens the pendant and sighs looking at the picture. My heart melts, wow I was not expecting that. It's a picture of when I was a baby with mom holding me in her arms.

"I have no words Sam. Thank you so much, I love it already. I swear to god I'm never letting this out of my sight."

"How did you even get that picture of us?" I ask, confused because I don't remember sending it to him.

He looks over to Nolan and smiles.

Oh, he got it from Nolan.

"Kenzie, put it on me please." I take out the necklace and put it around her neck wishing I had the same one too so we could both match.

"Thank you Sam." I mouth to him and he nods.

- - -