48| unexpected night.

A/n: I'm not sure if you can see the song at the very top but if not it's BLACK FRIDAY BY TOM ODELL, make sure to play this song while reading. Not throughout the entire chapter but definitely during the dance.

K E N Z I E

The looks I'm receiving from everyone as I make my way to the bar does nothing but bring my self esteem higher than it was yesterday. Wow, I always thought that rich people were rude but this moment exact, my opinion is changing.

The bar, much like everything else in this building, looks like a stunning appeal. From the elegant glasses to the sophisticated bartenders, it's all a display of beauty and money.

I settle into the center stools, deliberately distancing myself from the clusters of people enjoying their time with friends or partners, simply focusing on getting myself a drink.

"Champagne please." I politely ask.

I take the mask of my face carefully, hoping it doesn't ruin my makeup underneath. Others around me are doing the same so I'm guessing it's okay to do that.

"Fucking hell." The familiar deep voice speaks from next to me. Please don't be who I think it is.

I turn to my right to see the man I actually dread in a navy blue suit that fits his body flawlessly along with a matching mask that completes his entire outfit. I don't need to look twice to know who this is. His menacing gaze says it all.

"I should have known you'd be here." I scoff at him. I should have more of a reaction that he's here but I don't care. He's wearing a mask so I doubt Nolan will notice him. But who knows? Maybe he can spot Kieran from a mile away but not now, he's too busy at the moment.

"You look.." He stares at me for too long, making me a tiny bit uncomfortable. "I'm this close to ending the deal. How can I possibly ever put a girl like you through pain?" He's good with his words. Almost like his cousin.

I roll my eyes at his sarcasm. Kieran knows how to make someone angry,  He's a master at getting under someone's skin. "How can I possibly ever enjoy someone's company like you?" I spit back at him ready to grab my drink and leave.

"Stay." He insists, gripping my wrist. My immediate reaction is to glance in Nolan's direction, relieved that his back is turned. I dread to imagine how he'd react if he witnessed this moment.

I snatch my arm from him, containing my anger inside. What makes him think it's okay to even touch me? "What is your problem? What I'm already doing, is that not enough?" His eyes appear utterly hollow, as if they contain nothing at all.

"What is it with you always getting defensive? All I want to do is talk." Audacity men like him have.

"Does it look like I want to talk to you?" I take a sip from my drink, not wanting to look his way at all.

"No but that's not going to change anything. I still want to talk. Today, tomorrow, whenever." I can hear the cheekiness in his tone. He's taking the piss out of me. No way am I going to let that happen.

"If that girl didn't want you, what makes you think I want to even have a conversation with you?" A smile appears on his face after my unexpected statement. He knows who I'm talking about.

"And this is why I respect you, Kenzie. You have so much potential, you just don't know it yet." He throws a shot of vodka down his throat like it's water.

"I'll find my way back to Nolan, one day." I get up from the stool, looking at Kieran with all the hatred within me for him. He's a manipulative individual that needs serious help. "See you around." I spill my champagne on his suit, making him jump from his seat.