02| why are people so stupid ?

K E N Z I E

I grab my phone and headphones from the nightstand before heading downstairs to the dining room. Dad and Nicole are already seated at the table as Janice arranges dishes. I notice she's serving food onto their plates but not mine.

I'm not even fucking surprised.

I pull out a chair and quietly take a seat at the table, avoiding eye contact with anyone. I sense Nicole's gaze on me as she glances in my direction, sizing me up. I decide not to engage in conversation and remain silent, preferring not to say anything to anyone.

I serve myself some food and start eating while listening to music. I've learned that if they catch me watching something on my phone, it'll cause a commotion at the table. So, I stick to my routine—tuning into music while they engage in their conversations about who knows what. I have no interest in knowing their topics of discussion.

As I rise from my seat and pick up my plate, heading towards the kitchen, I notice Janice's lips moving, directed right at me. I roll my eyes and pause my music, taking a moment to tune into what she might be saying.

I have stopped my music just to listen to her annoying ass voice. This better be worth my time.

"What?" I ask, still standing up with my plate in my hand.

"You're not going anywhere, sit back down in your seat." She says with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"I'm not sitting back down, I finished my dinner. I'm going upstairs now."

"Kenzie." I look towards my dad's direction to see him looking directly at me with a pissed off look.

"What do you want?" I look back at Janice and ask.

"Who do you think you are talking to my mother like that?" Nicole chimes in.

Why are people so stupid? God I hate this house so much along with everyone in it.

"Please stop trying so hard to look intimidating, it's embarrassing." I scoff.

"Kenzie!" My dad's voice booms, the force of his fist hits the dinner table, causing everything to tremble.

I remain unfazed, maintaining a piercing glare aimed at Nicole. I've grown to be used to my dad's sudden outbursts, but he never directs them at Nicole. Of course, he doesn't.

"I'm going upstairs." I huff in annoyance as I place my plate back onto the table and storm off.

- - -

I groggily open my eyes to the sound of my alarm. Last night, I stayed up late binge-watching "The Office" on Netflix. I close my eyes again, promising myself I'll get up in five minutes, only to be greeted by the next alarm.

*ALARM GOES OFF*

"Fuck my life." I groan as I stretch my arms and legs wanting to go back to sleep.

- - -

I hop into a quick, refreshing shower before swiftly changing into the outfit I prepped on my bed before stepping in. I've gone for a black lace vest paired with a faux fur jacket and a vintage knee-split hem jeans that I'd ordered quite a while ago—arrived only yesterday morning.