03 | * intense eye contact *

K E N Z I E

Lunchtime finally arrives, and my growling stomach reminds me that I haven't had a bite all day. Surprisingly, my English literature class ended much earlier than usual. Unfortunately, Max, Alex, and Paige, are in a different class, so I'll have to wait for their teacher to let them out.

While waiting, I head over to my locker. The hallways are deserted, with no sign of other students around. As I make my way, a groan of pain echoes, catching my attention.

What the fuck.

It's only human to be curious. Despite the potential risk, I'm driven by curiosity and make the choice to track down the distressing sounds. I reach the far end of the hallway, where the stairs lead to a destination unknown to me.

The noises are much clearer now and I know who it's all coming from.

It's Nolan beating the absolute living shit out of some other guy who has bruises already forming on his face and blood dripping down from his nose all the way onto the floor and his shirt. I cannot believe what I am seeing. I see no absolute emotion in Nolan's eyes. He's showing no mercy to the kid, he is not stopping himself from brutally punching him again and again. The noises from the connection between his fist and the poor guy's face cringes me.

He suddenly stops punching the living shit out of the guy. Shit. I quickly dash to the closest room and hide there. Leaning against the door, I take a deep breath, trying to steady myself in the midst of the chaos I witnessed.

Now what the hell did I just see?

- - -

Huddled in the janitor's closet, I wait until all of the classes in the entire school have been dismissed.

After making sure it's cool to leave, I head to the cafeteria instead of meeting my friends in their classes. I haven't seen Nolan yet, and I really hope he didn't notice me. Seeing him act so violently was shocking; I always had a feeling something wasn't right about him, but witnessing that was on another level.

"Dumbass are you alive?" Suddenly, I felt a persistent shaking that jolted me out of my thoughts. Looking up, I find Paige, her hand firmly gripping my shoulder, concern etched across her face.

"Shit I'm sorry." I apologise, realising I wasn't listening to their conversation at all.

"Hey are you okay?" Max asks with worry written all over her face.

"Yeah I am, I just zoned out. Happens all the time don't worry." I smile faintly.

"Okay well are you coming with us to the party tomorrow night?" Paige asks me with excitement clearly showing in her voice.

"Don't we have school tomorrow? And the day after tomorrow?" I reply. I don't want to go to the party, knowing I have fucking school the next day.

"Girl what have you been doing all day? Did you not hear any of your teachers talking about how we have no school tomorrow?" Alex chimes in from next to me.

"Oh thank god." I scoff. We keep having these days where our school isn't be open for the day. We have something new thing being built so maybe because of that reason we have been getting days off school frequently now. And I am definitely going to this party, I will be able to get away from Nicole and Janice by partying my ass off.

"So are you coming?" Paige asks again in hopes for me saying yes.

"Yup I am." I answer as I take a bite from the salad, it disappoints with its complete lack of flavor. I'm starving, and despite its blandness, it's the only option at school that remotely satisfies my hunger. Sometimes, it feels like there's just nothing else worth eating here.

- - -

The day seemed to fly by swiftly. I ended up dozing off during my last two periods, and now, I'm at my locker, gathering the things I stashed there earlier to lighten my bag's load throughout the day so I didn't have to walk around school with unnecessary things in my bag.

As I slam my locker shut, Max and Alex suddenly spring into action, successfully startling me to the point where I let out a scream and jump. The commotion draws the attention of everyone nearby in the bustling hallway, causing them all to stare.

"Are you guys out of your fucking mind? That's so embarrassing." I whisper.

"Since when were you easy to scare?" Alex teases me as Max laughs her ass off.

"Shut the fuck up, where is Paige?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"Oh yeah we have to wait for her here actually, she has to talk to her science teacher about something." Max, catching her breath from laughter, responds to me, but I remain silent, scanning the hallways. I don't reply, I just start looking around the hallways as Alex and Max start arguing about the show 'The Vampire Diaries' out of nowhere like they always do along with Paige. I honestly don't understand the hype about that show and why they all actually spend their time arguing about it.

Suddenly my eyes locks with his.

It catches me off guard. He's  been observing me before I even realized, leaning against the lockers with a distinct snarl on his face. The intensity of his gaze raises a multitude of questions in my mind—why?

Why does he always look so pissed off?

The gripping eye contact with Nolan is something I'm hesitant to break, but Alex's persistent attempts to get my attention finally succeed. He waves his hands in front of me, signaling that Paige's arrival means we can all leave. Reluctantly, I pull myself away from Nolan's gaze to rejoin the group.

-
hey guys once again

why is Nolan all of a sudden just looking at Kenzie? making eye contact with her.

Is it hard to tell that when I was writing this I had an obsession with tvd?

Anyway thanks for reading n take care <3
- s