11| if i was a bird, i know who i'd take a shit on

K E N Z I E

"Watch where you're going!" The person I collide with raises their voice, igniting an even deeper well of anger and frustration within me.

"And you are?" I find myself questioning the blonde girl in front of me, her face heavily layered with makeup, an appearance that almost causes me to burst out laughing and comment on how absurd she looks.

"Do you have any idea who you're talking to?" She responds by raising her voice, the pitch incredibly grating and utterly annoying to my ears.

"I clearly don't, why do you think I asked you in the first place?" I'm quick to snap back at her.

"You're talking to Nolan's girlfriend so if I were you I'd watch my mouth." A smug smirk spreads across her face, and her gaze shifts behind me. Without needing to turn around, I know precisely who she's eyeing.

"Yeah well if I was you, I'd wipe myself off this earth. Move away from me." I don't filter my words or consider the consequences—I'm simply speaking what comes to mind without restraint.

Laughter erupts from downstairs, catching my attention. Peering down from the railing, I witness all the boys in fits of laughter, their amusement echoing throughout the space.

"Shut the fuck up." Nolan calls out from behind me to all the boys downstairs.

"Someone had to say it man." Chase sits comfortably on the couch, focused on the game displayed on the massive TV screen. Chuckling intermittently, his focus remains fixed on the gaming console while the others around him continue to be amused, their laughter persisting.

"Kenzie you don't understand how fond I am of you."  Sam's voice booms out, still tinged with amusement.

Refraining from responding, I maintain my silence, struggling to contain a sense of laughter. Instead, I fix a glare upon the girl, her face contorted into a snarl, my own amusement barely suppressed.

"You seriously don't know what you have gotten yourself into. Watch your back," She warns me trying to intimidate which doesn't work.. "Let's go baby."

The pieces fall into place as I recognize the girl—it's the same one who called for Nolan from his bedroom the other day. Her persistently shirlly voice adds to my annoyance. I can't help but wonder how anyone could date someone with such an irritating demeanor.

A message is sent to me as I walk down the massive stairs and it turns out to be my mom.

mom<3: Hey Kenz, I actually have a visit with the doctor now so I won't be home so don't worry about coming back anymore and I'll call you straight away with what the doctor tells me.

I'm not angry, but I'm feeling a bit disappointed that I can't accompany my mom to the doctor, especially after her cancer diagnosis. Even if I were to ask, I know she'd refuse my offer immediately. It's just tough not being there to support her during this time.

I reply to her message, letting her know that I'll come and visit her tomorrow after school and she needs to tell me the truth about what the doctor told her.

"Yo Kenz, wanna play with us?" As I walk past them towards the kitchen, Landon calls out, trying to capture my attention, while the rest of them remain seated on the couch.