04| please get out of my head, i'm trying to sleep.

K E N Z I E

As I arrive home, the evening darkness envelops the surroundings due to our stop at the newly opened diner near to our school.

Stepping inside, an unsettling quiet reigns; the interior is shrouded in darkness, the lights unlit. Taking it upon myself, I flip the switches, illuminating the space, and call out the names of Nicole and Janice, hoping for any sign of their presence in the otherwise still house.

No one answers.

Which means I have the entire house to myself with them two. God I am so relieved, because if I came to them both home right now they wouldn't shut  up about where I have been and why I'm home later than usual.

It's frustrating how much Nicole involves herself in my life, mirroring her mom's attempts to pry into my affairs. I find it odd because I have very little interest in her life. Despite being just a year older, she insists on acting like a mom. Dealing with both of them is exhausting—I'm tired of their constant presence and interference.

I make sure to leave all the lights turned on because I'm a pussy when it comes to darkness and right now I'm home alone so anything can happen.

What if someone breaks in? What if a fucking ghost is here with me right now?

I have always had a fear of ghosts and they all came from the horror movies I have watched. And I still continue to watch them because there's too good to nor watch. But I always make sure to watch them when I'm not alone and not when everyone is sleeping.

I've now changed into my shorts and oversized t-shirt, there's not much I can do while I'm home alone apart from scream my head off, blast music and watch anything I like on the massive tv downstairs without being interrupted.

I'm not going to choose to do any of that, instead I'm going to read a book. I'm not a big fan of reading but I don't mind it either, I have a few books that my mom had gotten me last summer and I haven't read them even once. I tried to but I just couldn't, it wasn't boring it was me who wasn't able to focus on the book.

Everything kept interrupting me like text messages from Max, Paige and Alex or notifications from social media and I just gave up with trying to read the book.

But I turn my phone off completely so I can actually read this book and so far I'm struggling to keep my eyes open. It's not boring, I'm just tired. I think.

Fuck this, I give up with trying to read. I can't do anything other than watching Netflix, being on my phone and laptop 24/7. I seriously have no life.

I put the book back from where I got it and walk across my room to grab the tv remote that was resting on my desk until I heard the door shut.

Does this mean Nicole and Janice are back? If so why do I not hear their annoying voices?

I grab and throw the remote back onto my bed and creep out of my room, trying not to make any noise. I walk closer over to the stairs and I hear whispers.

Uh oh.

"He was so hot, did you guys hook up?" I hear one voice whisper which I assume is Nicole's.

For the first time I'm happy that it's her voice because if it wasn't then that would mean someone broke in.

"We did a few things together but we can talk about this later, It's late and I need to change out of these uncomfortable clothes." Janice whispers back.

No because why are they whispering?

Oh my god I am so stupid.

Janice is cheating on my dad with someone else and her daughter knows as well.

Am I surprised? No. Do I really care? No.

Dad should have seen this coming, I don't care if she's cheating on him because when he finds out he'll leave her. He deserves it too.

Whatever, this is a waste of time.

I scurry back into my room, closing the door slowly hoping it doesn't make a click sound and thankfully it doesn't.

- - -

As the night stretches on, I find sleep evading me, tangled in thoughts about him. We've never spoken, and he doesn't know me at all. But his intense gaze lingers in my mind, casting an eerie feeling. It's unsettling, this sense of 'I've done something I shouldn't have' attached to his stare, leaving me anxious about what it might mean for me.

And what was the deal with him and the kid he beat the shit out of? I have no clue if he's even still alive.

What made him look over at me? And he wasn't just looking at me, he was staring. He had some sort anger behind his eyes, an angry look I can't describe, but we have never talked to each other so there's no way he was pissed at me. For what?

Oh god I have to stop thinking about him, it's starting to stress me out.

Please get out of my head, I'm trying to sleep.

With me trying to stop thinking about him, I realise that the party is tomorrow.

I'm not serious with school at all, I don't study at all. But I would never go to a party to drink and then go to school the next day with my head pounding with pain.

But seriously I have to go to sleep otherwise I'll be late to school and I won't even have the chance to have breakfast.

- - -

As I'm drowning away in my thoughts, sitting in my car which is still parked outside my house I get a text message from someone and turns out it's from Max.

maxine<3: guys the party is going to be in about two hours, everyones going to be there and it's at the club landon's parents own and i swear to god don't be fucking late, that goes for all of you. make sure we all meet right outside the club. xo see you babies there!!

alex<3: understood.

Well I guess it's time to get ready.

-
Definitely not the biggest fan of this chapter since it's more of a filler. I mean reading it and then clocking that I was just trying to get to the chapter where the drama is going to begin isn't hard to tell. I just didn't wanna dive into the drama too soon.

Anyway thanks for reading n take care <3
- s