2 - homeroom

me and sophie sit in our seats, near the back. i made her sit at the back because there was no way in HELL that i would be at the front near everybody.
"alright, good morning 9th grade!" our teacher began, as she introduced herself. the whole time i was spaced out, up until she said this:
"as part of getting me to know all of you guys a little bit better, i would like for everyone to introduce themselves to the class by saying their name, their favourite subject, and what they're looking forward to this year. let's start off with you, at the back."
i was completely zoned out. i didn't even realise she was talking to me until everyone's faces turned my way. i immediately felt myself getting hotter.
"me?" i replied, shaking.
"yes, you" she smiled, reassuringly. "what's your name?"
"umm" i began, my leg bouncing "my name is maddie sturniolo"
"ah, sturniolo!" she smiled "you don't happen to be related to the triplets do you? nick, matt, chris?"
fuck. why did she have to say that.
"oh, yeah" i timidly smiled "they're my brothers"
"ah! what a small world! i remember teaching them!" she chuckled. i forced myself to smile. "what's your favourite subject? and what are you looking forward to this year, maddie?"
"ummm" why did i keep having to say umm before every sentence. "my favourite subject is art, and i'm looking forward to making new friends this year"
what a fucking lie. i was completely happy with sophie and my old friend group from middle school.
"how nice! thank you for sharing, maddie!"
my teacher smiled, before continuing to interview the rest of the class. everyone else seemed to answer her questions with so much confidence. i looked at sophie as she answered the questions, she didn't even hesitate. that kid was so cool. i wish i had her mindset.
i just couldn't help but think that this year, i was just gonna be known as the 'triplets sister'. i know i shouldn't be ashamed of it, i love my brothers more than anything. they're my best friends, but i have a name too, and i'm worried people are gonna use me so they can meet the triplets.
my overthinking is interrupted by the bell, and before i know it it's time for my first period; chemistry.