51 - first day pt2

(a few moments later - matt's pov)
"so what the heck are we gonna do?" chris asked. we were all clueless.
nick had just broke the news to us that our home in LA had been sorted and we were able to move back, but we weren't so sure if that would be a smart idea at the moment. you see, the last time we were in LA was last july. maddie was fine last july, she had just graduated middle school and had an amazing group of friends. and as you can tell, her life very much isn't as simple as that anymore. and that kid needs us. god knows what would happen if she was alone again.
i shook my head.
"i don't know, bro. what can we do?"
we sat in silence for a few moments.
"i don't fancy mcdonald's anymore, let's go home" i decided, driving out of the parking lot. the drive home was pretty silent, until we pulled into the driveway, where chris momentarily broke the silence.
"what if we just forget LA and stay here?"
me and nick shot him surprised looks. is this kid ok?
"you fucking idiot chris, our whole MANAGEMENT TEAM IS IN LA-" nick shouted, gradually getting louder. i hit him in the arm so he would shut up.
"nick, shut the fuck up, the whole street can hear you. can we just decide tomorrow? we're all obviously tired and we won't be able to make a decision tonight." i requested. they both looked at each other, then nodded.
"fine by me" chris agreed.
"ok"
we all got out the car as i locked up. nick unlocked the front door as we all made our way inside, quietly. the house was quiet
well no shit, it was almost 3am.
we dragged ourselves up the stairs into the dark hallway, but the green LED light from maddie's room cast a faint glow across the corridor.
"goodnight y'all." chris said, heading to his room.
"goodnight chris, goodnight matt. love you." nick said, entering his room. they both closed their doors, but i was beginning to overthink.
what if we did have to leave maddie? no.. we couldn't.
i quietly creeped closer to her room. her door wasn't fully shut, as usual, but the door wasn't touching the door frame which meant i could just about look in and see her.
she looked so peaceful.
and in that moment, i wished that LA could just not be a thing. or that laura and madi could just move to boston. i couldn't do this to maddie. not again.
there had to be a way out of this.

(monday, 7:57am - maddie's pov)
today was the day. my big day. my first proper day back in school since fucking february. or january. i cant remember man.
my mom was driving me into school, and just giving me some tips to get through the day as we drove through the busy roads of somerville. it felt like the first day of high school all over again, except from the fact that sophie obviously wasn't here in the car with us, blabbing onto my mom about her amazing summer in toronto.
toronto can suck my dick
"and remember what mr roberts said: you have that time out card for a reason. if you need to use it, don't hesitate. that's what it's for." she said to me. i nodded.
"of course i will, mom. thank you." i smiled, staring out the window, watching as the buildings passed by us.
you know what? fuck it that i don't have any friends in this school. everyone is such a bitch, and i don't need bitches in my life. who even needs friends when you have macy and a nice loving family? not me for sure.

sooner or later, we pulled up into the school parking lot. i looked at my mom, and she gave me a reassuring smile.
"it will be good" she beamed, giving my hand a gentle squeeze. "if you need anything, message me. alright?"
i nodded, taking a deep breath, then smiling.
deep breaths always help.
"love you mom. see you later"
she waved goodbye, and i got out the car and made my way towards the building, hearing the engine of the car gradually get quieter and quieter as it faded away, the distance between me and comfort become further and further apart.
but for now, i was gonna prove to myself that school wasn't all that bad. i knew i could do it.

i walked into the building, the corridor was crowded as fuck. homeroom hadn't started yet, but it would be soon. a wave of anxiety overcame me, but it began to diminish when i realised no one i actually knew was out here. it was just some random NPCs.
tbh everyone in this school is an NPC
bruh, i haven't been here in so long i actually forgot where my locker is
suddenly, the bell for homeroom rang, making me jump.
that bell brings bad memories
everyone began to make their way to class.
shit.. what classroom am i? 45? 59?
oh yeah, 47.
i took some more deep breaths, becoming a part of the crowded halls as i walked to homeroom.
homeroom is definitely the worst part of the day because of the people in my class. if i can get through this, i can get through anything.
and with that, i pushed open the classroom door, ready to start my day.

the classroom wasn't busy because i was on time for a change, there was just a bunch of random boys and a few girls just sitting on their phones, as well as my teacher.
"maddie! it's so nice to see you again!" my teacher smiled at me. i forced a smile back, still feeling very nervous.
"it's nice to see you too, miss..."
shit i forgot her name
just ignore it and sit down
i walked to my usual seat at the back and sat down in it, and looked to the empty seat on my right. where sophie used to sit.
ah
i ignored the weird nostalgic emotions i was feeling and pulled out my phone, going to message my family saying that i was in homeroom, because believe it or not this was a pretty big accomplishment for me, but my actions were interrupted by a group of girls laughing and chattering away as they burst open the classroom door.
i immediately looked up. it was sophie's friend group. the cheerleaders. somehow i was able to remember their names, when i could barely remember my locker number.
annabelle dodd, long light brown curly hair, freckles, heavy eyeliner.
chloe schulman, short dirty blonde curly hair, big brown eyes
anna dickens, short dark brown hair, spiky green eyes.
and luckily there was no sophie that accompanied them. thankfully for me, she was probably rotting away in that mental hospital, or whatever it is.
the girls immediately noticed me when i looked at them, and i thought they'd give dirty looks, but they just sat down and didn't do anything. however, when i was on my phone i could sense them looking at me, and gossiping about me.
well, i guess i can kind of expect it. after everything that's happened with me, i suppose they're allowed to be curious. as long as they don't ask me anything then it's good.
my teacher gave a few announcements, boring announcements, and before i knew it it was time for first period. i had double maths. without macy. and to be honest, i felt incapable of even surviving that.
okay, remember, you have your card. just get your head down, focus, don't care about other people, and remember that after that, you have break. you can go sit by yourself in the toilet and do whatever you want. then the rest of the day will be a breeze. you got biology then english after break, then double art after lunch. you can look forward to that!
and with that, i made my way to maths.