41 - chick fil a

(6:39pm - matt's pov)
nick had come home like an hour ago, and we were all in the kitchen, getting hungry, about to order chick fil a.
"i'm gonna go see if she's up yet, she won't want us to order without her" i said, heading upstairs to her room.
i creaked open her door, and to my surprise she was still sleeping.
ok. i'll let her sleep for a bit longer. we can always wait until later to have food.
i headed back downstairs to tell my brothers to wait. chris shrugged.
"alright" he said "but i'm only waiting until 7:15. i'm hungry dawg"

(7:17pm)
"right, so we're all ordering chicken burgers, right? and with fries?" nick said, double checking our order as we were ordering from his phone.
"yes" me and chris responded in unison. i picked my nails, nervous, wondering when maddie was gonna wake up and come down.
"do you wanna go and see if maddie's awake?" nick suggested to me.
"okay"
i headed upstairs again, creaked open her door, she was still asleep. i was beginning to lose hope that she would even wake up on time.
i sighed, shutting the door, going back down to tell my brothers. chris groaned.
"ughhh, matt it's fine we can just order what she got last time and wake her up when it comes. you know long door dash takes nowadays" chris moaned. kid was hangry.
"yeah, but like.." i hesitated, not wanting to make my brothers blow up of impatience. "she's a really picky eater, she might not be happy with what we order her-"
"ughhh OKAY MATT. we will wait until 8. final offer." nick said, as they both headed to nicks room. i smiled. hope was coming back.

(7:59pm)
"MAAATTTT!! WE'RE ABOUT TO ORDER!!" nick screamed from his bedroom.
"alright!! one sec!!" i shouted from the top of the stairs. they were one minute early.
i peered inside her room. dead asleep.
i breathed a sigh of disappointment. i really wanted tonight to be special, not that my brothers would understand. they just wanted to be fed, but for me, i wasn't gonna be happy with my food unless maddie was happy with hers.
i could hear chris and nick mumbling to each other downstairs, and they sounded very fed up.
i was gonna have to wake her up.
i slowly approached her bed, crouching down on the floor next to the bed as i rubbed her back.
"hey sweetheart, are you awake?" i softly spoke. she slowly turned around and looked at me, her eyes barely open. her head sunk back into the pillow. i smiled.
"what do you want" she said, her voice hoarse.
ouch
"you need to eat some dinner. we're gonna order chick fil a, and chris and nick are getting kinda impatient, what do you want us to get you?" i asked. she stayed still, then closed her eyes again, shaking her head.
"i'm not hungry-"
"no, maddie. im not taking any of that. you've barely been eating recently, you need to eat something that isn't ice cream or expired chips."
she groaned, and as soon as i said that, i looked to my left and saw a tub of ice cream which was pretty much overflowing and was dripping all over her chair and the floor.
"holy shit, maddie that is disgusting, your room is gonna be so sticky- ew-"
i scrambled to my feet, grabbing loads of tissues and cleaning the mess up.
"matt, i'm not hungry. please don't worry about me. you guys can order without me."
"no maddie im not doing that. please just eat. even just a little bit. what you're doing right now isn't good for you." i said, wiping the ice cream off the chair, before looking back at her. "please?"
there was a brief silence, before she shook her head in conclusion.
"no. i'm sorry."

"oh my god. alright, matt, if she doesn't want chick fil a she can make something for herself here. can we please just order for us? i haven't eaten in 7 hours" chris demanded.
"yes, we will order now-"
"no. guys" i interrupted, causing them both to look at me.
"what is it now, matt." nick grumbled. i hesitated again, knowing i was really starting to annoy them now.
"i know maddie would want chick fil a. can you just let me talk to her for a bit longer? then we can order?"
"but HOW much longer, matt? we were supposed to eat almost 2 hours ago." chris mentioned
"i know, and i get why you guys are angry, but please just give me one more shot. i can convince her to get chick fil a."
nick and chris exchanged fed up looks.
"you've got fifteen minutes."
i smiled, grateful.
it was time to convince my sister to eat some chick fil a.

(8:09pm)
fifteen minutes was almost up. i had been sitting with maddie in her room just trying to convince her to eat chick fil a with us. but i myself was beginning to get hungry and realised it wasn't gonna work.
"sorry matt" she said, lying in her bed. i sighed. i was really looking forward to eating altogether as siblings like old times again. but i guess i'd have to wait a bit longer.
"it's alright" i lied, standing up and headed to the door, when all of a sudden-
"wait matt"
i turned around
"actually.. chick fil a does sound kinda good right now"
wait what? is she being serious?
"YES maddie thank you so much!! thank you- you have no idea how much this means to me" i ran over to her, hugging her.
kid probably thought i was crazy. to be honest i was acting a bit weird over chick fil a. but you don't understand. it has a deeper meaning than that.
"do you want your usual?" i asked.
"yes please"
"alright- that's perfect- thank you maddie! i'll call you down when it's here" i smiled, heading out of her room. it was gonna take 15 minutes to arrive which was quicker than usual. my brothers would be happy.

i ran down the stairs to nicks room
"guys i've ordered it! it will be coming in fifteen mi-"
nicks room was empty.
where did they go?
i headed back up, and went into chris's room, and was surprised to see both of them sitting on chris's sofa, eating a bowl of pasta instead.
"what are you guys doing? i just ordered the chick fil a you've been longing for"
"yeah but it took you way too long. so we made pasta." chris said, taking another fork of his pasta.
"what? but you said fifteen minutes-"
"sorry bro. we were hungry."
i groaned.
"you could've been at least a bit more patient or told me. now i've wasted money on you guys when you're not even eating!!"
"just give it to mom and dad. keep it in the freezer. they'll want it. we'll pay you back" nick said.
it's fine.. it's fine.. i can still eat dinner with maddie later and bring our family back together.
"okay" i frowned, leaving my impatient brothers in chris' room. i headed to the kitchen and sat by the island, scrolling through tiktok on my phone.
the house was quiet. too quiet.
trevor came down to join me. i sat him on my lap and petted him. at least trevor had time for me, because at the moment it felt like no one did. not even my parents. or my own siblings.

(10 mins later)
the doorbell rung, startling me. but i was hungry so i didn't give a fuck. i smiled.
"maddie, dinners here!!!" i shouted, running to the door. i thanked the delivery driver and took the bag of food. maddie still hadn't got downstairs. i placed the bag on the kitchen counter, then shouted for maddie again. i was in the middle of opening the bag, when i heard some thuds coming from the stairs i literally just came up. i turned around and ran to the stairs, and saw trevor lying at the bottom.
shit, he must've fell down
"oh shit- trevor what did you do? did you fall down the stairs??" i asked him, running down the stairs. i scooped him up. he didn't seem like he could move. i began to grow worried, immediately thinking of the worst.
what if he hit his head??? what if he broke a bone?? why did the worst things always have to happen when my parents are out!!
he began to whine, as i held him walking up the stairs.
"shhh, it's okay trev, it's okay, we'll get you fixed up" i said, entering the kitchen. i paused when i saw that the delivery bag had already been fully opened, and maddie's order was gone.
i headed up the stairs, still holding trevor, and peered inside her room. she was eating her chick fil a, all by herself, in her room. the complete opposite of what was supposed to happen. i was disappointed. i had tried doing a good thing by getting us siblings to eat altogether and have a good evening, but instead i ended up with an injured dog, two hangry brothers and a depressed girl.
the magic combo.
but for now i needed to worry about what was happening with trevor.