48 - mr roberts

(matt's pov)
i was laying down on my bed scrolling through tiktok on my phone in the darkness, when suddenly my door creaked open slightly. i pointed my phone at the door to see who it was, and i could just make out maddie's figure.
"maddie? what are you doing?" i asked, tired.
"i can't do it, i- i cant sleep in my own bed" she hesitated. "do you mind if i maybe sleep one more night in here? please?"
shit
as much as i wanted to let her, it wasn't the best thing, otherwise she would never learn to sleep in her own bed. tomorrow would just be a repeat of every night. i wanted her to just give it a go sleeping by herself just for the night so she can see that we're all still here in the morning.
"maddie, that's not gonna happen. you need to sleep in your own bed otherwise this is just gonna go on forever" i explained softly, sitting up. i saw her scrunch her face in annoyance. "i'll come tuck you back in, but you can't sleep in my bed. come on."
i got out of bed and lead her back to her room. she looked really distraught, and i felt bad as shit but i knew it was the right thing. maddie's not a baby, she's capable, and i know she will realise that soon.
we got to her bed, but she was still standing by her door.
"come on" i said, motioning for her to get in her bed. she shook her head. i sighed. "why not?"
"just one night?"
"no, maddie. because you've said this every night and i know you'll say it tomorrow too. please just get in bed, i'll stay here for five minutes with you."
she stayed silent.
"ten minutes?" she negotiated. alright
"fine."
"fifteen?"
"that's stretching it a bit. ten, maddie, now come on." i said, as she agreed and got into bed. "twelve if you're lucky."
i pulled the covers up over her and brought her chair from her desk over to her bed. she wasn't closing her eyes.
"close your eyes. i'm right here kiddo" i whispered "get some rest"
"how do i know you'll all still be here when i wake up?" she murmured.
"where else are we gonna go?" i chuckled lightly. "maddie i promise you we are not going anywhere. we're never gonna leave you, we haven't left any other nights, so why is tonight any different?"
she didn't answer, and began to close her eyes.
and after a few minutes she was out.
i carefully stood up, not bothering to move the chair back because the noise would probably wake her up, and crept out the room, gently closing her door shut.
mission success. now i just had to hope she wouldn't wake up in the night and freak out.
and soon after that, i headed to bed.

(the next morning, maddie's pov)
i woke up to sunlight streaming through my curtains. i was alone.
FUCK WHERE IS EVERYONE?????
wait
i was alone? i slept by myself? for the first night in ages?
i couldn't help but feel a sense of pride. i had battled my biggest fear, and i knew this was only the beginning. but how tf did i do it? eh, i'm not sure. im just proud that i did.
my stomach started to rumble, so i headed down to the kitchen. i really fancied one of the leftover crumbl cookies right now.
as i approached the kitchen coming down the stairs, i overheard my mom on the phone to someone. i wasn't sure who, but then she said something that made me stop in my tracks.
"yes, of course mr. roberts. we will be in at half twelve today. see you then!"
MR ROBERTS???? WHAT THE FUCK???
mr roberts is my principal, why was i supposed to be seeing him today at half twelve?? that's in less than two hours!!!!
i burst into the kitchen, looking at my mom in shock. she looked surprised to see me.
"good morning ma-"
"why the fuck are we seeing mr roberts today??"
she froze, then exhaled.
"oh. you heard?"
i nodded, scared.
"yeah. what's up with that? you're not..." i began, as she looked at me. "you're not sending me back into school, are you?"
"oh, no. honey, of course we aren't."
i breathed a sigh of relief, then sat down at the table. but she wasn't finished.
"well.. technically we're not.. but mr roberts has called up to ask to meet with you in school today. just for a quick catch up, at 12:30."
shit
"catch up?? about what??"
"about getting you back into school, he just wants to create a suitable schedule for you that won't make you feel too overwhelmed but will get you to attend school." she explained, as i froze. scared. "maddie, this is better than nothing, it's against the law to not send you to school-"
"but he's gonna be angry at me though"
she gave me a sympathetic look
"angry? of course he won't, why would he be angry sweetie? on the phone, he said that he just wanted to see how you're doing and make sure you're not feeling too overwhelmed. that's all it is. i'll be there in the room with you anyways."
maddie, you can't keep hiding from your problems and fears forever. last night you did amazing, you faced one fear. but that's one out of many, and this is the next one.
"alright, fine. i guess i better get ready then."
"well done, maddie"
i stood up and headed back to my room, completely forgetting about breakfast, before i stopped.
"wait, i don't have to go to class after the talk do i?"
mom shook her head.
"no"
thank fuck
i headed to my room, feeling slightly less confident as i was before, and got ready for the day ahead.