54- lying

(3pm, end of the day)
my last two lessons weren't the best. mainly because i had been replaying everything that happened in lunch in my mind on repeat. i couldn't focus in biology or chemistry, and i could tell my chemistry teacher was getting slightly pissed at me for not doing anything. but i didn't give a fuck.
the whole afternoon i was contemplating whether or not i should message matt and ask him to pick me up, but then i kept thinking;
no, maddie. you can't. you're gonna lose all your progress. you've been spending practically the whole week in school and you're doing so well. don't let this minor issue affect you. you're stronger than that.
and so i didn't message anyone in my family. i didn't want them to worry all over again.
anyways, i was heading out of the chemistry lab and to the car, as matt was picking me up from school this afternoon. but right before i stepped out the building, i heard my name.
"maddie!"
i turned around, it was the cheerleaders again. they were smiling very widely, as if i was a funny joke to them. i didn't smile, i just stared at them as they came over. annabelle patted me on the back.
"why so serious?" she smiled.
"i'm not serious. i'm going home." i said, turning to the door to leave, not turning to look back on them.
"awww, but maddie! don't you wanna stay and watch our cheerleading practice? it'll be so much fun!!"
i continued walking, feeling tears building up in my eyes. i hated when people did this. what was even happening? why were they teasing me so much?
i looked down at the floor, trying to compose myself before coming to the car.
i cant have my family worrying again.
i slowed my pace a bit, so my eyes had time to stop watering. i could feel a single tear roll down my cheek, but i wiped it away. i took some deep breaths, then headed to the car.
i got into the passenger seat, and put my bag on the floor infront of me. matt smiled, starting the engine. i looked right out the window.
"hey, you alright?" he asked.
"yeah." i lied.
he began to drive, as there was an awkward silence.
"you sure you're okay?" he asked. "you seem a little off"
i turned to look at him, shaking my head.
"no, no, i'm good. today was good. it was a good day." i said, faking a smile.
he briefly turned to look at me, before focusing back on the road.
"whatever you say."
today was not a good day. progress? forget that shit. who even needs school. school is shit. friends is shit. those fucking girls are shit.
you know what? that hannah girl probably didn't even mean anything she said. she was probably just saying all that to make fun of me. i bet she's ganging up on me with the cheerleaders, she probably told them how stupid i was crashing into her this morning. i miss macy.

(that evening, 7:36pm)
i was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling aimlessly, listening to my music with my airpods in.
don't wanna go to school tomorrow. don't wanna go to school tomorrow.
but i need to. i have to do it. i have to go in otherwise i'll never get better.
but it's too much. i need a break. i cant do it.
there was a knock on my door. i took out one airpod.
"come in"
the door creaked open, it was chris and he was holding a plate of food.
"i called you down like fifty times for dinner, you didn't answer so i brought it up" he said, coming in and putting the plate on my bedside table.
"oh, thank you" i replied, sitting up slightly. he was staring at me in confusion.
"what are you doing?" he asked.
"i'm about to call macy" i lied.
i had no energy to even talk to macy. i didn't want her worrying either. she had been messaging me all evening but i couldn't bring myself to answer, because whenever i thought of her i got emotional.
he nodded, unconvinced.
"alright, let me know if you need anything" he said, heading out the room and closing my door. i exhaled then sunk back into the bed. i took a glimpse at the plate of food next to me.
pasta.
i wasn't hungry, but pasta sounded good right now. i placed the plate on my lap and started eating, and as i ate i decided it was probably a good idea if i messaged macy back. i didn't want her getting even more worried that i wasn't answering.

macy<33

hey
how was ur day???!?
bitch why tf you ain't answering
i know you're reading these messages
maddie daddy
😁😁😁

heyyyy
tbh my day was kind of shit
the cheerleaders were being dicks to me. ideky

why tf??
why were they even talking to you?

i don't know
they were teasing me all day
they randomly sat w me at lunch then started asking about how sophie poisoned me
and at the end of the day when i was leaving school they just came up to me and were like why are you so serious and saying i should watch them in cheerleading practice
but it's weird asf because i never even talk to them so i don't know why they're picking on me all of a sudden

bro i fucking hate them so much
one of the pros about being in nebraska is i don't have to face them ugly two faced bitches again😹😹

well aren't u lucky macy.

ik hehe
no but seriously maddie
it's gonna sound like a ton of bullshit, but u really just have to ignore them.
block it out. they're the most stupid girls in the whole fucking country. they eat sleep and breathe cheerleading. that really says a lot about them.
and also they're literally clones of sophie, and you know what happened with her. you're so much better than them, don't let them get to you or ruin your day because it will only encourage them more

but how do i just block it out?

think about this: if you wouldn't take advice from someone, why take criticism from them?
would u take advice from those bitches?

absolutely fucking not.

EXACTLY!!
so why listen to the weird shit they have to say?
look, dw about it. they don't know who they're messing with. they're messing with THE maddie sturniolo. and idk about you, but i think she's a badass.

LMFAOOOO MACY SHUT UP

just tryna help u my slime🫂
anyways i gtg now, my brother has some weird soccer match me and my parents are watching. i'll talk to u later, ily so much maddie. it will be okay i promise. remember what i said

of course macy, and i love you even more.
talk later, thank u sm again❤️❤️

i went to bed that night with a slightly new perspective. i still didn't want to go into school tomorrow but i knew that if i tried pushing through, i would end up feeling way better. and this is temporary. i'm not gonna feel like this forever.