29 - cupcakes

(4:08pm)
mom and dad had just arrived back home from italy. i ran up to them and gave them a massive hug. i had really missed my parents. my brothers came down the stairs and joined in on the hug and we all had a group hug. i felt surrounded by happiness again. i was surprised my parents weren't even angry about my suspension. i guess they understood what happened so it was all good.

after we had caught up, i went to my room to go message macy, when i had received a different notification instead..
a chat from sophie.

sophie
sophie: hi

You: hi

sophie: i'm really sorry
sophie: for everything
sophie: i'm sorry for getting you suspended, i'm sorry for the bullying, i shouldn't have done any of it at all. i was being petty.

You: u really were. and u should feel sorry.
You: thank you for the apology though. i appreciate it

sophie: yw
sophie: at least you basically get an extra weekend and u don't have to do school work

why was she trying to be nice all of a sudden?

You: yeah ahah

i headed off sophie's messages to message macy, when sophie messed AGAIN.

sophie: are u free around lunch time on saturday?
sophie: i want to actually talk to you in person and catch up, so i can apologise properly

hmm..
hasn't she apologised enough? i thought she hated me so why is she so eager to get back in my face again? had her cheer friends finally seen her true side and ditched her?
i guess i couldn't really say no. as much as i hated her, i wanted to hear what she had to say.

You: alright yeah i am free
You: 11am?

sophie: that works for me
sophie: alr great, meet me in the local park

You: okay, cya

i didn't know if deciding to meet with my public enemy was a mistake, but it couldn't really get any worse from here. it's not like she was gonna punch me back or anything.
i just needed to make sure i didn't tell my brothers or macy that i was meeting with sophie. they would never let me.

(sophie's pov)
great, my plan was working.
maddie was so stupid. why would you even meet up with someone who bullied you, and who you punched in the face? surely she knows that i'm trying to get revenge, right? this is what i liked about her. she was so naïve.
i grinned, lying on my bed as i looked over at the box of cupcakes that were lying on my window sill.
let's just say the cupcake i was going to give to maddie as a gift had a little something in it. a 'thank you' present for breaking my nose.
i couldn't wait. 11am saturday.

(11:02am, saturday, sophie's pov)
i was in the park, waiting for maddie. the weather wasn't that great. it was cloudy, cold, the grass was damp, and it was drizzling. i was getting impatient waiting for her. she was almost 3 minutes late without sending a message as to where she was. when suddenly, i saw her approaching me from the distance. it was very foggy so eyesight was limited currently. i beamed a smile at her, as she smiled back at me
"hey maddie!!" i shouted, as she came closer to me.
"hi sophie" she smiled back
"how are you??" i asked, maybe a little over enthusiastic.
"i'm alright thanks. how about you?" she asked.
"i'm perfect. thank you" i grinned "let's sit down"
i lead her to the tree, hoping to sit on the grass, but then she reminded me that it's wet.
"oh, right, silly me" i chuckled "i guess we'll just have to stand then"
she looked around
"no.. there's a sheltered area over there by the ice cream parlour. we can just sit there if that's easier" she responded, pointing to the ice cream parlour, where light from the building was standing out in the fog.
"oh yeah, okay sure" i smiled, as we headed over. i was holding a plastic bag with the cupcakes which i would offer to her later. i was excited to do this. i could feel adrenaline rushing through me even though i hadn't done anything yet. we sat down. it was still cold. i took a deep breath, before beginning-
"you don't have to forgive me, but genuinely i am really sorry for everything." i began.

(maddie's pov)
"i genuinely am really sorry for everything." she said. i didn't reply.
"you don't have to forgive me. i wouldn't forgive myself either after this. but what i did wasn't right, and me being jealous was not the answer to trying to ruin your reputation like that, and constantly bullying you." she said, sighing. "so i hope you can accept my apology."
i thought for a few moments.
i can't just say no. i didn't want to forgive her after everything she had done to me. maybe i could just say i did then after this ignore her forever.
"thank you. i accept your apology." i lied, smiling weakly. her face beamed with joy, but it was a weird smile. like an evil smile. i thought nothing of it though.
"thank you maddie" she smiled.

we ordered some drinks to our table. i got a sprite, even though it was freezing cold anyways, and she got a blue slush. we had been catching up and just chatting for the last hour, when i noticed that she had brought a plastic bag with her and it was just sitting on the chair next to her. i pointed to it.
"what's in the plastic bag?" i asked, out of curiosity. she looked at it, as if she forgot she ever brought it with.
"oh!" she said in surprise, picking it up off the seat. "i almost forgot, i brought us some cupcakes."
she showed me the package. there were two: presumably one for me and one for her.
"do you want one?" she smiled.
eh. why not.
"sure, thank you so much sophie" i replied, as she handed me a cupcake. they looked really tasty. they were both the same, with pink frosting and sprinkles and just vanilla sponge.
or at least i thought they were both the exact same.
i took a bite into it. it was actually pretty nice. it just had a bit of a strange aftertaste but once again, i thought nothing of it.
"these are actually really nice. where did you get them from?" i asked, munching on the cupcake, almost finished.
"they're just from my local grocery store" she said, her mouth full of the cupcake.

a few hours passed and we said goodbye. it was actually not so bad catching up with her, and i had even more things to look forward to later because macy and her parents were coming over for dinner. mom and dad offered to invite them over so i thought why the fuck not. i reckon my parents would get on really well with macy's. and my brothers liked macy and would probably like her parents.
i just needed to make sure they didn't find out about me meeting with sophie earlier..

side note: y'all are so sweet thank you sm for all the love on this story<33