59 - dying

(maddie's pov - tw: blood, injury, knife, mentions of 'death')
i was sat on the ground, leaning against one of the art drawers, practically almost unconscious.
these girls had come to try and kill me, all over again.
warm blood streamed from out my nose, and was going into my mouth and onto my clothes. but i didn't have the energy to put a hand under my nostrils to stop the blood. i just let it flow.
it was one punch after the other. after swinging at my nose, i think it was chloe who then punched me right in the eye. i squeezed my eyes shut in defeat, knowing i was bound to get a black eye from that hit.
then someone kicked me in the stomach, but i was helpless. i just sat there, letting them throw me around like i was a little puppet. i couldn't do anything. i was frozen. i felt paralysed.
then came more punches, and my vision was becoming blurry. the girls kept laughing as they attacked me, whilst shouting things at me at the same time, but their voices were beginning to fade away, and black dots clouded my vision, but i do remember one thing.
ava pulled out a knife and held it right under my chin, but then she dropped it on the floor, and the girls immediately scattered and ran away from me when the door to the classroom opened. and from his voice, i think it was mr jackson, with one other girl. but i don't know who it was.
i felt like i was about to die.

(mr jackson's pov - a few moments before)
"yes, hannah, this semester has been pretty busy for the art department, we've had so many art competitions and displays this year that i've already lost count of them!" i laughed, to one of my students called hannah, as we headed down the corridor to the art classroom.
she was a very polite and determined student, who had bumped into me in the hall a few minutes ago and had asked me for some help on her upcoming art project. we were walking to my art classroom now so i could assist her.
"yeah, well it's exciting! art is exciting." she smiled, as we approached the classroom door. i chuckled, digging through my pockets to find the classroom keys.
"one of the things i love about being an art teacher is how enthusiastic the students are. well, at least the vast majority of them. like you." i explained, giving hannah a warm smile, as we arrived at the classroom door. initially, i thought this classroom would be locked, but then i remembered i had kept it unlocked because maddie, another one of my students, had left her airpods in there from our lesson yesterday. so, i expected there to be no one in my classroom currently, but as i looked through the glass window in the door, i saw something shocking. something so shocking i had never witnessed anything like this before.
maddie was on the floor, covered in blood and bruises, whilst several other girls... i think it was ava... annabelle.. chloe, and... i always forget the other ones name- oh yes! anna! yes..
well they were crowded around her and were pretty much assaulting her, throwing punches at her face, and i'm not sure if i was going crazy, but i'm pretty sure i saw a knife in ava's hand. and it was pointed at maddie's throat.
without hesitation, i flung open the classroom door, furious.
what on EARTH did these girls think they were doing??? who did they think they were???? are they THAT stupid and insecure that they need to go and pretty much beat an innocent girl up until she's passed out?? i have never seen anything like this..
the girls immediately scattered around the classroom, but i shut the door before they could leave. ava had dropped the knife and it was now sitting near maddie's leg, luckily not injuring her, but she looked injured enough. i wasn't even sure if she was conscious. her eyes were drooping and she was emotionless. blood was all over her. and in that moment, i almost wanted to pick up that knife and teach those girls a lesson.
but then i would lose my job. and go to prison.
but maddie. the poor girl.
i know teachers shouldn't really have favourite students, but maddie sturniolo.
that girl has been through so much. so much. and yet she still comes into my classroom with an open mind, an open heart and a beaming smile. and she strives to produce the most RECORD BREAKING art work. there isn't another student that impresses me as much as maddie does. i think at least 4 pieces of her art work this year has come 1st place in some of the competitions this school has held. it's a shame she wasn't in school to witness it.
but anyways. back to the present.

hannah ran over to maddie, grabbing tissues and cleaning her up. whilst she focused on maddie, i had to focus on these girls.
"GIRLS! GET OVER HERE, RIGHT NOW." i shouted, louder than i had ever shouted at any students in my whole life.
they all of a sudden looked scared, as they slowly approached me.
as they should be. they were about to be expelled from this school, and probably get given a permanent criminal record.
"what the hell do you guys think you're doing?? you've just beat maddie up, there's blood everywhere, she's pretty much unconscious- what provoked this??? what did maddie do to you???" i demanded, searching for answers. they didn't answer, and they avoided full eye contact.
"i expect you to answer me. because i'm not so sure you would like to have to explain this all to mr roberts. and the cops. even though you're gonna have to tell them anyways."
they still didn't answer, until annabelle broke the silence.
"i'm sorry, sir."
pfft. sorry. yeah, that's ok annabelle. you can just go now.
now come on.
i shook my head.
"not good enough. not good enough AT ALL." i began, opening the classroom door for them. and just with my luck, mr roberts was walking through the corridor at that exact moment. his eyes diverted to me when he saw how alarmed i was.
"is everything okay, sir?" he asked me, entering the classroom, but as soon as he saw maddie, he knew what had happened. he nodded.
"i'll take them to my office. i'll get first aid to come here as well, just stay here with maddie" he said, taking the group of girls to his office. i nodded.
"okay."
and then i made my way over to maddie and hannah.

(maddie's pov)
there was...
a girl...
infront of me, with her hands under my nose catching the blood...
that's kind of... like...
disgusting, but i guess she
she
was just trying to help?
and- and then i think
i think the girls left...
maybe they had
like they had enough
or i
like i'm not sure
but mr jackson was here now
and he was here with me
with the other girl
and i began to recognise her voice
it was hannah
so she
she didn't hate me?
she wasn't one of those girls?
wow
i felt.. quite pleased
but my head was throbbing too much to be pleased.
i was almost... dead...
i need my brothers.
i wish i listened to matt.
i wish i listened. for once in my life.
just listen maddie.
you're not always right.

hannah stroked my head whilst mr jackson got some tissues and cleaned me up.
"you're okay, maddie, it's going to be okay. they're gone. they are going to hurt you anymore. they're going to be expelled. you're not going to have to see them ever again. you're safe." mr jackson said in a very calm and soothing voice, as he dabbed the tissue at my nose very gently.
my head was spinning, my eyes almost shut. i wasn't sure if hannah was crying, her breathing was jagged and her hands were trembling.
"pl-please. stay with us maddie. theres help coming. please just stay with us." she cried, her hand on my shoulder.
but...
why was she crying???
i didn't know she
cared about me?
i didn't think anyone in this school cared about me enough to
cry over me?
my head kept dropping. mr jackson continuously lifted my head up, and hannah held her water bottle up to my mouth, eager for me to not pass out.
"please stay awake maddie. you're doing so well- please" she trembled.
and i tried so hard to stay conscious, but then the door flung open again. it was first aid- the nurses i presume- but it was too loud. there was too many people, now; that i thought the girls were back.. i thought they were back with the knife... my throat was gonna be slit- it might've been slit if... if mr jackson.. if hannah..
if they didn't come in in that second. i would've been dead.
in heaven.
or hell.
but i wouldn't be suffering.
but they
saved my life.

i passed out.

enjoy todays video!