34 - friendships do change

(15 mins later)
i had just finished explaining to my family what had happened, how i met up with sophie when i shouldn't have, and how i think the cupcake she gave me was poisoned. they were all in shock, and were not happy that i met up with her.
"hold on.. you met up with her?? after everything she did to you??" chris said, beginning to get angry.
"yes. she said she wanted to apologise properly and i was stupid and said yes. it's my fault." i sighed. i wouldn't even blame my family if they were angry at me for this. chris didn't respond, he just took a deep breath. he probably didn't want to let his anger get the best of him again after what happened with the meet and greet incident.
"maddie, it's not your fault honey. how were you supposed to have known that sophie was going to poison the cupcake?" mom asked me, brushing my hair off of my forehead. "because what she did is not normal, and she is crazy."
"yeah, she almost killed you! she could go to jail for that" dad added on. my mind was in another place again.
i knew me and sophie weren't on good terms... but POISON. that's a bit extensive don't you think? we could've just talked this out like normal people do, but instead she tried to kill me. wow, she really didn't like me.
a tear rolled down my face, which my mom wiped away, giving me a sympathetic smile. i didn't want to start crying. i had cried like 50 times already infront of my family and didn't want to bother them with my emotions again. i tried my best to hold it in, as i bit my lip. matt held my hand, which i squeezed.
"so what's going to happen next?" i asked my parents, my voice shaky. i could feel chris rubbing my shoulder.
"well, as the doctor said, you'll need to stay here overnight so they can monitor any changes." mom explained. "but we're gonna need to get the cops to come here so you can tell them about what has happened, because this needs to be reported."
i slowly nodded, processing what was happening.
i couldn't believe i could have almost died. i kept thinking about how my family would've reacted if i had died, if i had taken another cupcake. it's lucky i didn't take another one. but i couldn't get the image of my parents, and my brothers gathered around me, dead in a hospital bed, out of my head. i couldn't think about that.
"i don't want to be by myself tonight" i quickly spoke.
"you won't be. i'll stay here with you" dad smiled.
"and i'll stay too" nick said.
that was surprising, coming from nick.
i smiled, a few more tears escaping my eyes.
"i love you guys so much"
my parents leaned over to give me a hug, which my brothers joined. we had a group hug and in that moment, i felt so much love. all of my problems faded away. all that mattered was that i was with my family.

(1:14pm - matt's pov)
we had stayed with maddie at the hospital for the last 3 hours pretty much, and she seemed to be alright at the moment, but chris was getting very tired because he had barely slept last night because he was looking after maddie.
the cops would be arriving at the hospital soon, and we wanted to be here to support maddie but chris was practically asleep, sitting on the chair nick was sitting on before with his eyes closing.
"chris" i whispered, gently knudging him.
"mm" he hummed back, not opening his eyes.
"can you not stay awake for any longer? the cops will be here soon"
"no, matt. i'm so tired." he groaned in response. i looked over at mom, who was sitting with maddie. she came over to us.
"chris? are you okay?" she asked.
"i'm tired" he said, still with his eyes closed. she thought for a few moments.
"if you want to, you guys can drive home and i'll be back once the cops are gone?" she suggested. i looked at chris.
seriously chris?? you're making me drive you home so you can sleep when our sister almost just died??
i really didn't want to be leaving maddie right now, but chris looked so exhausted. and upset. and i knew that if i had been up all night helping maddie i would be equally as tired, and i would want to go home to sleep in my bed. so i agreed.
"fine. i'll drive us home, chris, come on" i said, tapping him as i stood up. he slowly opened his eyes, standing up, tired. i made my way over to maddie's bed. she was on her phone, and from what it looked like, she was texting someone..

(maddie's pov)
i was messaging macy about what had happened, and she was freaking out.

macyyy

macyyy: WHAT. THE. FUCK
macyyy: no way
macyyy: oh my god maddie im so so so sorry
macyyy: BRO WTF IS WRONG W HER
macyyy: IS SHE PSYCHO

You: IKR
You: i think she is. she def has some deep rooted mental problem because why tf would she try to kill me just because i punched her in the face? she was the one who started this whole argument in the first place, and she thinks this will solve it? by having me dead??
You: i'm just shocked to say the least

macyyy: bro i don't blame u
macyyy: i would be shocked too
macyyy: jesus. wow. i cant believe that happened to you
macyyy: are you okay?? like rn??

You: i think so, i'm at the hospital

macyyy: what did they say?

You: they said luckily because it was a low dose there is minimal damage to my body, but they're keeping me here overnight just to monitor my liver and shit like that idk
You: and the cops are coming soon because they need to know what happened because sophie could go to jail for that

macyyy: BOYYY SHE BETTER GO TO JAIL FOR THAT
macyyy: i never liked her stupid ass anyways.
macyyy: i cant believe you could've almost died. idk what i would've done if that happened, you're my best friend

You: nawww don't make me emotional now 😿😿
You: i miss you macy

macyyy: i miss u too
macyyy: dw i'll get a surprise planned for u when i next see u👍👍👍👍

You: WDYM

i was interrupted by matt, who was approaching the bed. i looked over at chris, who was headed to the door.
"maddie, i've gotta go home with chris because the kids falling asleep. i feel really bad, is this alright? are you okay?" he asked.
"oh my god, matt it's fine don't worry. you're being so dramatic. i'm not dying or anything" i smiled.
"yeah, but you almost did right now." he said. i chuckled, making him laugh too.
"shut up matt"
he leaned over to give me a hug, pressing a soft kiss to my temple.
"i'll see you tomorrow, kid. you message me tonight if you need me. i love you." he smiled, heading to the door, as chris came over to me.
"bye matt!! love you!!" i smiled, as chris gave me a hug too.
"sorry mads, i'm just really tired." he murmured, his voice groggy.
"it's alright. thanks for staying here with me." i grinned.
"that's ok. i hope you get better soon. see you tomorrow" he weakly smiled, waving at me before he left the room.

now it was just me, nick, and my parents. well, just me and my parents actually, nick had gone down the road to buy some soda for himself. he said he would get me something but i'm not even sure if i was allowed to eat or drink right now. oh well.
i was just glad my parents were here with me. they seemed surprisingly calm, which was good because i didn't want them to be worried. i hated seeing my parents worried.
"you're being such a brave girl, sweetheart." mom smiled. i smiled back.
"yeah. we're very proud of you for getting through this, and don't worry. sophie will be sorted out. it sounds like she needs to be sent to a mental asylum as soon as possible." dad laughed. i nodded, chuckling too.
"it's so weird to think she used to be my best friend. now she could've been my murderer." i said, trying not to get all soppy again. they nodded.
"i know." mom replied. "unfortunately, maddie, friendships change. that's just what happens as you grow up, and in this case it seems like it was for the best. god knows what she could've done to you if you guys stayed friends and she went crazy again, she might've done something even worse than this, which sounds impossible because this is a pretty bad situation anyways."
"yeah." i slowly replied.
friendships certainly do change.