42 - vet

(a few minutes later - chris' pov)
trevor was lying down on my bed as nick and i examined his paws. when he tried walking, he often fell onto his face. we assumed that he had broken or fractured his left arm which couldn't be great, and nick was currently on the phone to our parents asking them to come home. i looked behind me at matt. he looked very sad and i felt bad. the poor kid hadn't even had dinner yet.
"hey- matt, why don't you go and have your dinner? we've got it all sorted out. you don't need to worry about a thing." i said, trying to cheer him up.
"i feel bad, i should've been paying attention-"
"matt, even if you were paying attention it wouldn't have made a difference. you wouldn't have been able to predict trevor falling down the stairs"
he nodded, realising it wasn't his fault
"mom and dad will be back in half an hour" nick said, getting off the phone to mom and dad. i turned back to matt
"go enjoy your dinner" i smiled. he left the room and went down to eat his take out, frowning.

(maddie's pov - 34 minutes later)
i had finished eating my dinner like fifteen minutes ago, and surprisingly i finished all of it. matt was right, i needed to start to break out of my current habits and better myself. even though that wasn't his exact words, i knew that was what he was trying to get at.
i heard my parents downstairs, which confused me, because they were supposed to be out until much later because it was my uncles birthday, why were they back now?
it wasn't because of me, was it?
i could hear loads of commotion from the hallway, and chris' room, so i decided to get out of my bed and go and see what was happening.
i entered chris' room to see my mom and dad lifting up one of trevor's arms, as well as my brothers crowding around.
"what's happening?" i asked, making my brothers turn around.
"oh, trevor fell down the stairs and we think he's broken his left arm" chris explained.
wait what?
"oh" i frowned, feeling bad for the poor baby. he was so clumsy. i sat on chris' bed and stroked trevor, trying to soothe him. he wouldn't stop whining.
"we'll have to go take him to the vet as soon as possible" mom suggested
"tonight??" everyone asked in unison. she nodded.
"tonight. the nearest vet doesn't close until 11. it's just turned 9:15, we've got time"
everyone looked at each other.
"i'll come" nick said
"i'll come too" matt said. he looked really sad. did he have something to do with it?
"alright, let's go now, chris you stay home with maddie" dad said, as mom picked up trevor and they all headed out the room.
"alright" chris said, as we followed them down the stairs.
"what time will you guys be home?" i asked my parents, who were getting their shoes on. my mom shrugged.
"i don't know. however long it takes. just don't expect us to be back before 10:30."
i nodded. chris put his arm around me as we waved goodbye to our family. he then shut the door.
"have you eaten dinner?" he asked, as i followed him up the stairs. i nodded.
"yeah. i had chick fil a" i said. i was getting tired again and realised i should probably go to bed soon. "i'm feeling really tired so i'm gonna go to bed"
"alright, goodnight kiddo. sleep well" he said, patting me on the back. i didn't say anything back. i just left and went upstairs.

when i got to my room, i got snuggled into my bed with my green leds on. i was gonna try and sleep on my own for once. but i couldn't. i turned on some relaxing music to try and help me sleep, but nothing worked. whenever i sleep by myself nowadays or even if i was with one of my brothers, i had this horrible fear that i would wake up alone with my family gone. just like the day i woke up and suddenly, my best friend was several states away and my ex best friend was going to a mental hospital. trevor's gone to the hospital so now he's left as well.. so whose next?? and not to forget my parents and two of my brothers have also left for the hospital. what if something bad happened to them on the way?
what if they got into a car crash? what if trevor was seriously hurt and they need to stay there longer? what if they never come back? what if they just pretended they were taking trevor to the hospital when in reality they were driving as far away from me as possible? what if chris has snuck out the house leaving me by myself again?
i practically jumped out of my bed, escaping my thoughts. i had to stop thinking like this otherwise what tf was i gonna do in life. i knew chris hadn't snuck out the house...... but i had to go and check just in case. just to be on the safe side.

i took a few deep breaths, and slowly creaked open my door. i crept down to the end of the hallway to chris' room, and my heart skipped a beat when i saw that his door was halfway open, and the lights were off. that meant he wasn't in his room.
shit
where is he??
i began to panic, as i sped down the stairs to the kitchen. no one was in the kitchen, but then i heard chris' voice
"maddie? what are you doing?"
i turned around. chris was sitting on the sofa in the living room, watching something on the tv. i breathed a deep sigh of relief.
"oh my god- chris- i thought you-" i was so out of breath "i thought you-"
i gave up, leaning over and huffing and puffing. i saw chris give me a funny looking smile in the corner of my eye.
"i'm sorry" i said
he shook his head
"don't be silly, are you alright?"
i nodded.
"yeah. i just- i cant-"
"cant sleep?"
i nodded, too tired to even talk. he patted the space next to him on the sofa, indicating for me to come and lie down there. i weakly smiled, feeling grateful for chris, as i made my way over. i rested my head on chris' lap, and he lay a blanket over my body. i could feel him playing with the strands of my hair, and could hear the noise from the tv, but it all began to fade away, as i fell into a deep sleep..