71 - leak

(a couple of days later - 10:48pm: maddie's pov)
the past couple of days had been fun, we had done more exploring of LA, we had gone up to malibu, gone to the hollywood sign, gone to venice beach.. and so on. and now, some of my brothers friends had come over for the evening and we were all just hanging out in the living room. however, i wasn't feeling too great at all. my stomach was killing me and i felt like i had no energy at all. plus, it was too loud in here for me..
my brothers were all messing around and being loud with their friends but my head was spinning and i just needed to go to bed.
i was sitting in between matt and their friend waylon, but the pain was getting unbearable.
"matt" i quietly said, so that only he could hear me.
he looked at me, "what's up?"
"i'm gonna go to bed. i'm really tired." i said, not wanting to worry him.
he nodded. "alright, you ok?"
"yeah yeah, i'm just really exhausted."
"ok, goodnight then."
"goodnight."
i slowly stood up, trying to not escalate the pain, and headed to matt's room. i turned on the air con because i felt really hot, despite the house being pretty cool anyway, and i got under the covers and played some music on my phone.
i took a sip of water, trying to ease the pain, but it hurt so fucking bad. i really wanted one of my brothers to be here with me, but i didn't want to disturb them. so, i just closed my eyes, and before i knew it, the pain stopped and i was asleep.

(3:23am - maddie)
i begun to wake up.
the room was dark, but i could just make out matt beside me, asleep. luckily, the pain was gone, for now, but i felt really uncomfortable. and something didn't feel right. i felt gross.
i slowly stood up and got out of bed because i needed to pee. i crept to the door and slowly creaked it open, careful to not wake up matt, and went into the bathroom, locking the door. but before i could even sit on the toilet, i realised something. and i'm pretty sure my heart skipped like five beats.
there was blood in my underwear.

SHIT SHIT SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS I GONNA DO????
i wasn't even supposed to be on my period until next week. of course it had to start early. but i had bigger problems, i didn't bring any pads. holy shit. and my brothers 100% would not have pads or anything in the house. but how was i gonna go back to bed??? and-
oh my god.. i didn't leak on the bed did i?
matt would be PISSED.
i slowly unlocked the bathroom door again and tiptoed back into the room to see if there was blood on the bed. luckily, i couldn't see anything, but it was dark and there was no light. so i had to make sure.
without thinking, i turned the flash on my phone on and pointed it at the mattress, but matt suddenly moved, startled, which made me jump.
"maddie.. what the fuck are you doing" he groaned, exhausted.
"nothing- sorry.. it was an accident. i'm going to the bathroom." i stuttered, not even getting a chance to look at the mattress with the flash on. he turned the other way and went back to sleep. hopefully he didn't suspect anything.
i grabbed a clean pair of underwear before locking myself back in the bathroom, freaking the fuck out.
seriously. how was i gonna deal with this?
ok.. deep breaths.. let's think carefully.
who can i ask for help? fuck i really wish one of my brothers had a girlfriend right now..
i could call up madi? no.. actually i cant because we aren't that close.. it would be weird.
maybe laura? no.. that's even weirder..
FUCK WHO DO I CALL????
mom?
no because she would tell my brothers. and that shits embarrassing.
ok great. i was just gonna have to deal with it myself.

my brothers weren't gonna have diapers lying around the house, and if they did.. well... i would be flying straight back to boston.
for now, i was just gonna have to stuff a shit ton of tissue in my underwear and put a towel under me and just pray for the best. oh, and also make sure i wake up before matt so i can remove the towel so he doesn't ask any questions.
this was gonna be tough.

i slowly crept back into the bedroom with the fresh towel (it was my towel dw) and lay it down on the mattress, before climbing onto it myself. i wasn't sure if putting the duvet over me was gonna be too risky, so i pretty much just slept in the freezing air conditioned room with nothing covering me. i was shivering. and i didn't fall back asleep for ages after, but as long as i didn't make a mess on matts bed and cause any problems, i was happy.

(11:57am - maddie)
"maddie, wake up."
what?
"maddie, get the fuck up." the voice repeated.
"wh-what?-"
"MADDIE"
i shook myself awake, startled, and looked up. it was just chris, who was laughing at me.
"chris. don't do that." i sighed, leaning back into the pillows and rubbing my temples. he was still laughing.
"get up, we're going out for lunch with madi soon." he said, ruffling my hair. "also what's with the towel?"
"towel?" i repeated, basically half asleep. then i remembered. "oh- what? how did this towel get under me??" i chuckled, nervously.
shit, i was supposed to be waking up first, not last..
chris chuckled, "give it to me. i'll put it back in the bathroom-"
"NO" i exclaimed, sitting up, as he slowly backed up, defending himself. i couldn't risk him seeing any blood that may have gotten on that towel. "i mean- sorry.. i'll do it. i'm just so tired and you woke me up in the most fucking stupid way."
he nodded in approval. "alright.. be ready by 12:30." and with that, he left. i let out a deep exhale, sinking back into the pillows.
what was i gonna do.

i got out of bed and looked down at the towel, and sure enough there was blood. and A LOT of it. thank fuck i woke up and realised i had started my period, or else i would be in for a NIGHTMARE.
ok.. we don't have pads.. we don't have anything. we can't wear white or grey. we have to wear all black bottoms.
i pulled out my black shorts, knowing that later they would be COVERED in blood, but once i washed them it would be fine. it's better than having permanently stained white joggers ig. and this way, no one would be able to tell if i leaked.
i changed into them and put my grey fresh love hoodie on. not to gas up chris, but it was the most comfortable hoodie i owned. and i got it for free obvs.

once i was ready, i joined my brothers downstairs. i had done my makeup and i looked good, and i had stuffed a bunch of tissue in my underwear and hoped for the best.
"are we all ready to go?" matt asked, jingling the keys.
"yep." me and nick echoed.
chris tapped my hoodie, "where's that hoodie from? it's fire"
"shut the fuck up, chris. i hate you today." i said, shoving him.
"woah woah woahhh, already arguing? we haven't even left the house yet." nick remarked, moving me away from chris.
"he woke me up by SCREAMING in my face. would you like that, nick??" i demanded.
"alright, enough. let's get in the car or else we'll be late. we're meeting madi there." matt interrupted, pushing past us as we followed him to the car.

matt and chris got in the front as per usual, with matt driving, and nick opened the back door for me to get in first, but as soon as i looked in the car, i knew i was done for.
the beige seats. i can NOT afford to leak right now.
"aren't you gonna get in??" nick asked, impatiently. i didn't have time to worry about this, i was just gonna have to sit on my knees or something.
"sorry" i mumbled, quickly getting in as nick got in after, closing the door. everyone did up their seatbelts as i got into my awkward position, which was indeed basically kneeling on my knees. i knew my legs were bound to be dead as soon as we arrived.
"maddie, don't sit like that, and please do your seatbelt." matt said, looking at me in the overhead mirror.
fuck.
"why can't i sit like this?" i asked, buckling myself in.
"because it's not safe. if we crash, you're screwed."
"if we crash, you're screwed." chris repeated, imitating matt in a weird voice, making me and nick laugh.
"well don't crash then." i chuckled.
matt looked at chris, fed up, waiting for him to interfere.
"matt, just leave her. we won't crash." chris said, motioning for matt to fucking start driving already. matt rolled his eyes, then started the engine.
"don't say i didn't warn you."