Chapter 20

After a few more times, Luo Huai Yuan became very close with Yan Yan and Shen Qi.

This was Luo Huai Yuan's third life, and since he wanted to get closer to the two of them, he naturally put all his effort into it. As long as he reeled the little brat Shen Qi in, Yan Yan would come at least two out of three times. Luo Huai Yuan was very grateful, and any gloominess at having to "babysit children" was thrown to the back of his mind. Especially since the Tranquil Garden was peaceful and there were no servants around. The three of them played together a few times and were quite happy.

The Zhenguo Duke also received the news that the three little fellows were playing together. He didn't say anything about it and merely had the steward Uncle Peng keep a close eye on the Tranquil Garden. He didn't want any rumors spreading.

During this time, Shen Qi and Yan Yan had also asked about Luo Huai Yuan's background. He didn't lie to them, and merely gave them selective bits of information. According to him, he was a prince who was never favored. After being beaten by the favored third prince he was thrown out of the palace by his royal father.

Of course, this was the version used to fool children. At least Shen Qi and Yan Yan believed it.

Shen Qi's thoughts were very simple. He felt little fatty Luo was truly pitiful, being beaten by his big brother so tragically. Yan Yan's thoughts were much more complicated. She realized that every household had its difficulties. Even the royal family was no exception.

The last few days Shen Qi had called Yan Yan to the Tranquil Garden to play but she never came. Luo Huai Yuan grew a little anxious.

"Why did little sis Ah Yan not come again? I even planed something new for us all to play today."

Shen Qi was also listless. He had followed his mom's instructions and properly accompanied Yan Yan in play to make her happy. But even the usually oblivious Shen Qi had realized Yan Yan wasn't in a good mood the last couple of days.

"Little Ah Yan hasn't been in a good mood the last two days."

Luo Huai Yuan froze and asked: "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

Shen Qi scratched his head and said simple-mindedly: "It's all due to my younger aunt. She lost her temper at home last time and also yelled at little Ah Yan. Grandfather got angry and these days all the elders at home haven't been in a good mood."

Luo Huai Yuan was a little startled. He knew a little about Yan Yan's matter in his past life.

She had gotten drunk once and had told him of her own volition. He then had people secretly investigate and put the pieces together.

What he understood was that it was the story of a scumbag who screwed over the relatives.

In the story, the scumbag had someone he loved, but because he was greedy for power, he married a principal wife for her family status. However, this scumbag was good at coaxing women, and managed to marry his true love as well, and even had her become good sisters with his principal wife.

If this was the story of a loser turning things around, that man could be called someone successful. But why was he called a scumbag instead? It was because he wasn't a good person. He took advantage of someone else's influence and played around with her heart. Not only did he allow his true love to bully his principal wife and children, but after he established himself, he kicked his principal wife away.

Yan Ting had borrowed the Zhenguo Duke's influence and accomplished a great merit. It goes without saying that he brought great honor to his family and was promoted in the ranks of nobility. After their noble status was no longer at risk, Yan Ting gradually stopped treating Shen Yi Yao well. Since she had fallen out with her own family for Yan Ting's sake, to the point they no longer interacted, she could only suffer by herself.