Chapter 50

Yan Yan's words made Xue-shi's eyes light up. "That's right. Search the Ziyu Pavilion. You didn't have anything on you when you married in. Anything extra that turns up was naturally embezzled by you.

She could tell that the third miss was trying to make Concubine Pei suffer. Since their goals aligned, she didn't mind being the horse in front of the carriage.

This was the downside of being an illegitimate household manager. If things were going well, no one would say anything. Anything that wasn't going well would be pointed out. If it were Shen Yi Yao managing the household, no one would dare ask to search her residence even if she were suspected of embezzling silver.

Concubine Pei was different. As a concubine, even if she was a noble concubine, her status was much lower. Especially since she didn't come with a dowry, which was something others could seize upon easily.

Concubine Pei was about to go insane. She cried out hysterically: "What basis do you all have to search my residence?" She then cried to the old madam: "Aunt, aren't you going to say anything? Are you going to let them bully your niece?"

The old madam hadn't said anything yet when Yan Yan spoke up again. "Grandmother naturally knows you're her niece, but for the sake of allaying everyone's suspicions, she naturally can't be biased towards you."

These words directly made the old madam unable to say anything.

She was also very anxious at this moment, but since she was caught out by those words, what could she say? If she said something, wouldn't it mean she was being biased towards her own niece?

Seeing Xue-shi and Chen-shi looking at her, the old madam sighed: "Yu Jin, you've been upright and aboveboard. Don't be afraid. Old two has treated you pretty well over the years, and has bestowed quite a few things to you. As long as it's within this limit, no one would accuse you of embezzlement. Your aunt can promise you this."

The last part was spoken for the others to hear. Even if Concubine Pei was lining her own pockets, it was fine as long as the number wasn't large. Everyone understood that clear waters didn't have any fish. These words could be counted as letting Concubine Pei feel at ease.

But how could Concubine Pei feel at ease?

The old madam thought that even if Concubine Pei lined her pockets, there wouldn't be too much. But the problem was it wasn't that little! The old madam's words meant she had implicitly agreed for the Ziyu Pavilion to be searched.

Concubine Pei felt like dying. She could only hope her secret storage wouldn't be discovered. Luckily it was well hidden, and she was the only one who knew where it was.

Once things were set, all that remained was to have people search the Ziyu Pavilion. The old madam definitely would send some of her own people, and to allay their suspicions, the second and third branch would also send some people. Yan Yan was domineering as always and had Matron Zou go take a look as well.

Concubine Pei hated Yan Yan to death at the moment and gave an excuse that she didn't have the qualifications to do so as a junior. Yan Yan sneered disdainfully. She said that ever since the Ningxiang Chambers built its small kitchen, the estate hadn't sent her allowance over. She didn't mention anything since she wasn't lacking, but since everyone suspected Concubine Pei of embezzlement, she naturally wondered whether the Ningxiang Chambers' allowance was also taken for Concubine Pei's personal use.

Everyone was shocked. The old madam's eyes contained criticism.

Even she didn't dare provoke this little ancestor. Where did Concubine Pei get the guts to take away the Ningxiang Chambers' allowance?!