Chapter 165

As that person had said, Imperial Physician Zhou was truly embroiled in it and was no longer able to get out.

He was walking on a narrow and winding road with a sharp drop on either side. He could only walk carefully and seek stability. He wasn't even able to ask for stability anymore. He could only ask for his family to be left out of it.

Who would have thought his reliable plan of sending his whole family out of the capital back then, leaving them in the hands of his senior apprentice brother, was actually sending them into the tiger's den? He didn't expect someone so silent to also have those intentions. As expected, there were no familial ties within the royal family. Even the most harmless looking person would change when it involved that seat.

But it was already too late to say anything. He could only obey.

Imperial Physician Zhou did as they asked and revealed several tells.

Emperors were all paranoid people. Imperial Physician Zhou knew this before, but only now did he experience it. He could feel the gaze above him slowly become a little different.

Imperial Physician Zhou was actually afraid of Emperor Xi, extremely afraid. When he saw his coworkers get dragged off that time, he had thought he was done for as well. Unexpectedly, he was left alive. He only understood afterwards that he was spared because of his skills and his reclusive nature.
Compared to the imperial physicians who had families and other concerns, he was the one with the least amount of things that could be used against him.

When Imperial Physician Zhou understood this was the reason he was left alive, he felt it was tragic and laughable.

Emperor Xi's actions were all for the sake of concealing his condition. If he found out that it was known by someone, what sort of expression would he have?

The lofty monarch under the heavens who was in control of countless people's lives.

Imperial Physician Zhou served the royal family but hated imperial authority from the bottom of his heart. Especially when something that had nothing to do with him ended up implicating himself and his family.

Therefore, despite being manipulated and despite trying to survive, there was also a part of him wanting to watch others make fools of themselves.

What would the lofty emperor do in such a situation?

.....
"You mean to say that you have a family? You even have a grandson!?"

"This servant is guilty. Please convict this servant for his capital offense." Imperial Physician Zhou was shaking all over, and forced himself to speak: "But at that time I didn't hide it intentionally. This servant's personality easily offends others, and it was hard to predict if I would cause any disasters. The Zhou family only has this lowly servant as support, and thus they hid away. It definitely wasn't meant to deceive your majesty. Please see things clearly."

After speaking, he started heavily kowtowing.
"This is to say that you revealed Our royal body's situation to others." Emperor Xi laughed a couple of times, "Great. All of you are extremely great, extremely great....." His words were calm but his hand picked up the brush washing basin and brought it smashing down.

The crisp sound rang throughout the hall. The brush washing basin's shattered pieces scattered in the air. Emperor Xi's breathing was heavy. Imperial Physician Zhou was startled and frozen on the floor.

"We won't kill you. Where would we find another Imperial Physician Zhou if We killed you? We will help you find your family. You can keep your head for now...."

The last few words were almost inaudible.

~~~~~
Emperor Xi didn't help find Imperial Physician Zhou's family as he said. Instead, the the people he sent to save them were actually sent to kill them.