Chapter 70.2

Some people wondered how Yan Yan knew about these words when she clearly hadn't been present. Was it just a coincidence or was she getting revenge for her mom?

Theoretically it should just be a coincidence. But looking at the current scene, who dared say it was?
So many people and such complete preparations naturally couldn't be arranged in a short amount of time. No one would say this hadn't been prepared beforehand.

Yan Yan had gone lantern viewing and the Weiyuan Marquis Estate was almost empty. Such a good opportunity to quickly do something. Thinking about it more, the people felt that this seemed to be a trap just waiting for someone to fall in.

Was it meant for Concubine Pei, or for everyone?
This question would never be answered.

Another wave of ghostly wails and wolfish howls sounded. Concubine Pei's maids were dragged out. They weren't as lucky as Concubine Pei and were directly thrown out into the courtyard and surrounded by a group of large men.

They were huddled together, wanting to cry but not daring to, wanting to yell but not daring to, deeply afraid they would be swallowed up by this group of men.

Yan Yan nodded in satisfaction and said with a clear voice: "Looks like everthing's set up. There's a few other things we won't bother with for now. I'll say it again. I'm not a very patient person. It's late and I don't want to waste time. Are you guys going to confess? Or are you going to be forced to talk? I'll give you some time to think. I know you guys understand what I'm talking about."

After she finished speaking, one of the guards said in a rough voice: "I noticed you were beating those maids earlier pretty well. Hurry up! Beat these maids over here for me. Give them a taste first. Don't force this daddy to make a move. Otherwise, it wouldn't be good if people start dying."

The sturdy grannies being scolded by the guard were deathly pale and trembling.

They didn't know who they had provoked. Earlier, they had been ordered to beat people, and they did as instructed. But in the middle of the beating, they were gagged and tied up before being thrown to the side. Now they were being threatened.

Forget it, forget it. Beating people was better than being beaten.

These grannies were quick and efficient, pressing the maids down on the bench and starting to beat them with trembling hands.

After a few hits, a voice sounded out like a thunderclap.

"Didn't eat dinner or what?"

They almost dropped the plank out of fright. They put on a flattering smile and spat into their frozen hands. They rubbed them together with all their strength.

Immediately muffled groans, sobs and cries of pain and pleas for mercy sounded out. The maids were a mess of tears.

"Concubine, save me...."

"Old madam, lord marquis, spare us...."

"Third miss, I beg you....."

Normally beatings were carried out with gags in case the masters were disturbed. Today, these grannies had either forgotten or were too frightened, and had actually left this important part out. They allowed them to cry out while focusing on the beating.

This was a display of strength. This was clearly a display of strength.

The crowd looked at Yan Yan in bewilderment, their gazes all very complicated.

Yan Zhi and Yan Qu were startled, Chen-shi's brows were furrowed, the old madam was a mix of extreme rage and fear, Yan Ting's gaze was rather profound. Only Xue-shi seemed a little unsurprised.