Chapter 119

A few days before Yan Ru's wedding, a stream of relatives came to the door to add to her dowry.

Xue-shi's older brother, his wife and her sister-in-law all came. They didn't add anything too precious to the dowry but it fully represented their sincerity.
Yan Feng had also returned to the estate to add to Yan Ru's dowry before hurriedly leaving again.

These years, Yan Feng had rarely returned. Apart from coming back twice when the old madam's illness worsened, she hadn't come back since. Every time she came she would be in a hurry. It was clear the Chen household restricted her strictly.

Chen-shi also took her two daughters over to add to the dowry. Having not seen her in a while, she had become scarily grey. She hurriedly left right after.
Because the old madam had lost a grandson, she hated Chen-shi a lot. If it weren't for the fact that she couldn't move about, she would have wanted to swallow her whole. The third lord no longer looked at her which was within Xue-shi's expectations. Now the third lord was truly sympathetic towards Concubine Cui. Although he couldn't remain at her place during the day, he would still visit her daily.

Chen-shi had made a ruckus about it several times but was ignored by the third lord.

Shen Yi Yao and Yan Yan had also come to add to Yan Ru's dowry. Yan Yan had given her a set of pure gold headwear. Shen Yi Yao had directly added three thousand taels' worth of banknotes. She had an idea of the eldest branch's situation. Yan Ling was going to get married after so Yan Ru wouldn't have a solid bottom layer of silver. The more silver in the dowry, the more options she would have if anything happened in the future.

Xue-shi wouldn't accept it and wanted Shen Yi Yao to take it back. She said she had already received so much help from them. Shen Yi Yao ignored her and said it was for her daughter. After shoving it back and forth, she still managed to stuff it to Yan Ru.

Xue-shi was incessantly moved. She wiped her tears and told Yan Ru to remember what this second aunt did for her, and to repay her properly in the future. She said within the entire estate, only this second aunt kept Yan Ru in mind.

These words were criticizing Chen-shi and the old madam. Chen-shi had merely given a golden hairpin. It was pitifully light when she weighed it in her hand. Furthermore, the old madam didn't say anything at all. She used her situation to pretend to be muddled.
It wasn't that Xue-shi was greedy for their things. It was just that their lack of sincerity was obvious.

Soon, Yan Ru's wedding day arrived.

On this day, the Weiyuan Marquis Estate was extremely lively.

The eldest lord Yan Qu was marrying off one of his daughters for the first time. He spent a lot of his savings to make it a grand occasion. Various firecrackers were set off the entire day and red streamers covered the entire street in front of the estate doors.

Only when night fell did things grow quiet again.

Xue-shi escorted her daughter onto the bridal sedan chair. After it departed, she cried for a round. Shen Yi Yao hadn't been able to comfort her. Yan Zhi had sent the guests off and took her back to the eldest branch's pavilion.

The next day, Xue-shi put away her sorrow and started busying herself again. Tomorrow was Yan Ru's bridal return.

On the day of the bridal return, Yan Ru wore a crimson dress with golden flowers. Her hair was done into a heart-shaped bun and she wore a pure golden head ornament. Yan Ru had always been an unobtrusive person and rarely dressed so glamorously. This proper bridal attire made her suddenly seem like a different person.

Her fair face held a slight hint of red and there was some bashfulness in her eyes that couldn't be concealed. It was clear the two days at her husband's household had been pretty good. Along with the elegant and refined Liang Qi Fan, they made a good pair.