Chapter 62

Luo Huai Yuan invited them all to begin, and told them the eating method.

Overall, the Grand Xi had hot pots, but it was more like cooking a pot of food. It was different from Luo Huai Yuan's shabu shabu style.

The large round table was filled with various fresh vegetables. It was extremely difficult to get so many fresh vegetables during such weather. There were also plates of thinly sliced raw meat. Yan Yan couldn't tell by just looking what sort of meat it was. There were also shrimp, mushrooms and a few strange things she hadn't seen before.

For example, there was a plate of light yellow weirdly shaped objects. It was cut into slices and looked a little prickly. She had no idea what it was. There was also another plate of milk white objects sliced into strips. Another plate contained triangular objects with white skin wrapped around pink meat....

Yan Yan didn't realize that Luo Huai Yuan had spent quite some effort on this table of food.

For example, tofu skin was a hot pot delicacy but the Grand Xi didn't have such things. They only had tofu and soy milk, but not tofu skin. Luo Huai Yuan didn't know how to make tofu skin, and only knew that it was fished out from the top layer of soy milk. Only after having people experiment many times did they come up with this tofu skin.

Another example was the shrimp dumplings. This was a little easier to make. They just used fresh shrimp and wrapped it in a thin layer of dough.

As for the weird prickly looking object that Yan Yan saw, those in the modern world would recognize it as beef tripe. But the Grand Xi didn't have this thing. Furthermore, the Grand Xi was a farming nation and cows were good partners who tilled the fields. They were strictly protected.

The citizens weren't allowed to slaughter cows themselves. Farmers needed to register with the authorities to raise a cow, and when it died they had to report it to the authorities. Under the Grand Xi's laws, slaughtering a cow would result in being caned a hundred times, locked up for a year and a half and exiled a thousand li. Unless they were about to starve, wanted to revolt or felt like being locked up, no one would eat beef.

Of course, since ancient times those of higher status had quite a few privileges. It wasn't difficult for the nobility to eat beef. However, it had to be eaten secretly and couldn't be discovered by imperial censors. It must be known that even if Emperor Xi suddenly felt like eating beef, he had to do so secretly. This was a lot of trouble for the sake of a meal, so people in the Grand Xi rarely ate beef. They mostly ate pork or lamb.

For the sake of getting this beef tripe, Luo Huai Yuan endured the smell and supervised the servants in washing it for half a day. He had been afraid it still wasn't clean enough and put it in a pot to try it out in advance.

A minute's performance on the stage was the result of ten years' work off the stage. This situation was similar. Yan Yan would never know that for the sake of letting her eat well and contentedly, someone called Luo Huai Yuan had spent a ton of effort.
However, Luo Huai Yuan felt sweet in his heart at the moment. Looking at the little consort heartily eating the food he helped her cook, his heart was sweet as honey.

But when he saw the little consort giving some of whatever was tasty to her little brother, his heart was suddenly flooded in envy.

Why don't you see me? Why don't you see me? Actually, I am quite in need of being looked after by you as well.....

Yan Yan seemed to sense the person next to her "muttering" and looked at him in confusion. "Little fatty Luo, why aren't you eating? It's pretty good. I've never eating something so good before."

She's not even calling him big bro Luo anymore. It's all that dunce little second Shen's fault, giving him such an ugly nickname. The glory of being called "big bro Luo" would never return.