Chapter 48

No one in the estate was better than Xue-shi at putting on a dramatic act.

The moment she arrived at the Rongan Hall, she pounced over and hugged the old madam's legs while crying. No one could pull her off.

"....old madam you must mediate, we can't have such bullying going on. No matter what, Ru'er is still the eldest miss of this estate. As for Ling'er, although I don't treat her as well as Ru'er since I didn't give birth to her, I've never made her eat her older brother or sister's leftovers. Isn't that just humiliating others...."

".....our eldest branch is poor, but we've never shamed the Weiyuan Marquis Estate's dignity when going out. The eldest lord was also raised by you, and has always been filial. How can we let a concubine's daughter humiliate us? Does she still understand what it means to respect her elders? Her concubine mom said expenses need to be reduced everywhere, so our eldest branch and third branch suffered in silence without complaining to you. We were thinking that household difficulties can be overcome if everyone endured together. But why are we all eating meagerly when Concubine Pei's daughter is eating well? She eats only when she feels like it, and is even tired of eating it? Third sis-in-law is trying to adjust her health but has still been cut off from nourishment. The sixth miss just wanted a crab-roe bun but the kitchen gave her attitude...."

Xue-shi didn't only cry about the eldest branch. She also helped cry for the third branch. When Chen-shi heard her mention that she was adjusting her body, her heart soured and she revealed an aggrieved expression.

She and the third lord Yan Qu had been married a few years, but only gave birth to two daughters. They had always wanted to give birth to a son. The doctor said her health had been affected from giving birth, and should be properly adjusted to make things smoother. When the third branch's nourishing ingredients were cut off, she had been very angry. However, she had never liked causing trouble, and was also afraid of being accused of making a fuss over food. Therefore, she had endured it.

The old madam's expression was a little unwell. The cutting of costs had truly been ordered by her. This included the Rongan Hall. Concubine Pei had objected, saying everyone could cut down except her aunt, but she had ignored her and given the orders herself. In summary, only the Jinse Pavilion remained untouched within the whole estate.

There wasn't anything wrong with cutting costs. The estate needed to last the rest of the year. But while everyone else was living frugally, a silly little girl was wearing new clothes and wasting swallow's nest. This made the old madam extremely unhappy.

They were all used to living large, so the slightest change would make them feel uncomfortable. Everyone was enduring, including the old madam herself. No one would be able to accept it if an exception popped up.

The old madam looked at Chen-shi and scolded: "Really, you. You just allowed the nourishment for your health to stop? If you came and told mom, you wouldn't have suffered so!"

Chen-shi was extremely aggrieved, "Mom--"

The old madam also knew this daughter-in-law was timid and didn't make a fuss. But although she wanted to make it up to the third branch, she was currently powerless.

She looked at Chen-shi, hating how iron couldn't become steel, but still didn't mention any compensation: "The estate cutting costs was ordered by me. The situation in the estate hasn't been good these past few years. You guys know this as well. Now that the little sons and lasses are slowly growing up, and are about to discuss marriage, we cannot be lacking in betrothal money or dowries. Therefore, we have to cut down on costs."

Even at this point, the old madam wasn't willing to tell the truth.

Of course she wasn't willing. No matter what, the Weiyuan Marquis Estate's assets weren't just Yan Ting's alone. Even ignoring the old marquis and madam's share, even the concubines and their families deserved a share, let alone the fact that the third lord was also part of the main bloodline. When it came to assets, brothers often fell out with each other. How could the old madam tell everyone that the household's money had all been used up by Yan Ting? Furthermore, it may have all been for naught.
Concealing it another day was another day gained.