Chapter 111

After the Qingan Count's family left, Shen Qi and Luo Huai Yuan pulled Yan Yan and Yan Mo along, planning to go stroll the lantern market.

The lantern markets of the inner city were also extremely lively. The lanterns here were a level higher in craftsmanship and designs compared to the outer city. There were stacks of fireworks all over, exuding an air of luxury and extravagance. The people coming and going on the streets all wore extraordinary clothing and it was clear their status wasn't low. The lowest among them were at least officials.

In a restaurant facing the street, there were several people sitting around a table, drinking, chatting and laughing.

One of the people there looked depressed. He sat there only drinking alcohol, subconsciously exuding an air of loneliness.

"What's wrong? Not happy?"
Yan Ting froze and didn't speak.

That person leaned over. From the outside it looked as though the two were conversing, but it wasn't actually the case.

"For the sake of accompanying you, I didn't even participate in the palace's carnival. Why give me the cold shoulder!?"

Yan Ting's expression was extremely ugly. He gave the other party a glance and said hoarsely: "No one asked you to come!" After a pause, he spoke again: "Can you not act this way? I've already said what we're doing is strictly a business transaction!"

Xu Xiang Rong straightened up. He had one hand behind his back, appearing dignified and noble. Hearing these words, he didn't reveal any hint of displeasure. He merely smiled elegantly without speaking.

Out of their group, Liu Xi called him over to drink. He went over while maintaining his smile.

Yan Ting minded his own business as he drank. His gaze flickered as he looked at the full moon in the sky.

Xu Xiang Rong had people flatter him wherever he went. After he went over, someone diligently poured him a drink. They drank a few cups before Xu Xiang Rong walked off and sat by himself. Liu Xi followed after him.

"Brother-in-law, what's wrong? That fellow not accepting the reality?"

Xu Xiang Rong gave him a glance and didn't speak.

Liu Xi also didn't expect Yan Ting would end up messing around with this male-inclined brother-in-law of his. He felt that Yan Ting must have hidden himself too deeply. Normally he put on an arrogant appearance, but was actually just someone acting as well.

Although Li Xi was lecherous, he was only interested in women. He couldn't understand those who were interested in men. However, this cheap brother-in-law of his was powerful and influential. He naturally wouldn't say anything bad about him. Occasionally when Xu Xiang Rong had his eyes on someone, Liu Xi would help out behind the scenes.

He laughed awkwardly and explained: "I just feel he seems to not be giving brother-in-law any face, and wanted to teach him a lesson. Does he really think he's the powerful and lofty Zhenguo Duke's son-in-law?!" After speaking, he ruthlessly spat on the floor. His act as a lackey was performed extremely well.

It was true the Liu Xi was Xu Xiang Rong's younger brother-in-law, but it could also be denied. This was because his disappointing older sister had passed away early on due to illness, and hadn't even given Xu Xiang Rong any children. Over a decade later, the marital relationship between the Chengen Marquis and the Wuding Marquis households had already faded.

Xu Xiang Rong had married the Wuding Marquis household's principal daughter soon after the Xu household moved into the capital. At the time, Senior Concubine Xu's foundations weren't stable yet and her two princes were still young. Xu Xiang Rong happened to be at the age where he should marry, and ended up choosing the Wuding Marquis household. Liu Xi's older sister had been sickly from birth. After she came of age, no one came to the door to propose due to her health. Seeing someone finally show up, the Wuding Marquis also didn't shun him for his background, and married his daughter over.