Chapter 61

Yan Qian finally saw Yan Hong leaving the Rongan Hall and pulled him into a corner.

Yan Hong's maids and grannies wanted to follow but was glared away by her.

Yan Hong had just snapped out of it. Without looking to see who it was, he kicked out with his foot.
Yan Qian swallowed the pain and pinched his ear. "Did you eat some insane person's meat?!"

Yan Hong shook her hand off. "Speak if you want to speak, don't pinch me! If you keep pinching, I'll tell grandmother!"

Yan Qian pulled Yan Hong further into the corner until she reckoned no one could hear them before saying: "All you know to do is tell grandmother. I've asked you to beg her for mom's release. Did you do it yet?"

Yan Hong's face was filled with impatience. "Grandmother doesn't care about this matter. She told me not to bring it up again."

"So you left it at that? You're eating and drinking well at the Rongan Hall while concubine mom is suffering in a small worn down courtyard!"

"Would you give it a rest? What does her suffering have to do with me!?"

Yan Hong ran off after saying these words. After running some distance, he even turned back and made a face at Yan Qian. Yan Qian tried to grab him but failed.

Yan Qian resentfully stomped her foot and wiped her tears. "Yan Hong you ingrate. Mom treats you so well and takes your side in everything!"

She wiped her tears and walked back to her own courtyard.

On the way, a prepubescent little lass suddenly barged over. Yan Qian was about to cry out in pain when the little lass said quietly, "Concubine Pei wants to see you. Today during dinner time."
.......

Yan Qian came to visit the fifth miss again. Yan Chan was just getting a little better from her illness.
Concubine Wu had the urge to lift her up and throw her out.

Before Concubine Wu could speak, Yan Qian chose to speak first. "Concubine Wu, my concubine mom said you must help her this time. Otherwise, prepare to suffer! The! Consequences!"

Concubine Wu's face immediately turned black as a pot.

***
The fifth miss Yan Chan was sick and Yan Qian went to visit her twice.

This was the news Yan Yan received.

It seemed very normal, but there was something abnormal about it. Yan Qian and Yan Chan had never been close. Yan Chan was timid and never played with Yan Qian.

Thinking of the previous irregularities, Yan Yan pretty much understood.

But what could she do even if she understood? Yan Qian was just visiting her sick little sister. Could she say anything about it? All Yan Yan could do was remain unmoved in the face of unpredictability.
Of course, since she felt disgusted about it she didn't forget to counterattack.

Yan Yan ordered Mei Xiang to make a trip to Concubine Wu's place. She had her ask about the sick fifth miss and sent over some normal medicine at the same time.

Concubine Wu's reaction couldn't be seen from her face.

She put on a grateful expression, saying that the second and third miss were both kind, visiting in succession after hearing about the fifth miss.
Yan Yan understood who these words were meant for, but it didn't mean she believed them.

Yan Qian seemed to become well-behaved, and didn't leave her place for several days. Things seemed to have calmed down, yet also not.
........

Shen Qi sent a letter over, saying he was going to bring Yan Yan out to play the next day.