Chapter 38

Yan Ting returned to the estate smelling of alcohol. He first stopped by the Jinse Pavilion.

He met with Shen Yi Yao and told her he had been eating and drinking with friends he hadn't seen in a long time. He volunteered to sleep in the study since he knew she didn't like the smell of alcohol.

Yan Ting's attitude was very calm and Shen Yi Yao didn't think too much about it.

After leaving the Jinse Pavilion, Yan Ting turned towards the Ziyu Pavilion.

Concubine Pei knew that her cousin had stayed at the Jinse Pavilion for three days already, which meant he would definitely come to her place today. She had long since taken a bath and changed in preparation. When Yan Ting arrived, he saw the exceptionally alluring and lovely Concubine Pei.

She wore a pale blue gown embroidered with cloud patterns. It looked very simple, but actually had some intricacies. The silk was extremely thin. At first glance it looked no different from normal gowns, but looking closely or when it was under the light, the fair skin on the inside was faintly discernable.

Concubine Pei had a lithe figure to begin with. Despite giving birth to two children, she still maintained herself well. Her waist was still narrow, her breasts full and her butt perky, looking extremely attractive.

Yan Ting's gaze darkened and his passion burned brightly. The rest naturally didn't need to be mentioned.

After they were done, Concubine Pei started telling Yan Ting about the happenings within the estate over the past couple of years.

Yan Ting alternated between looks of praise and displeasure as he listened silently. Concubine Pei told him everything that needed to be told, with the exception of Yan Mo falling into the water. Yan Yan making a huge fuss and the Zhenguo Duke Estate's reaction wasn't mentioned either.

Having grown up with her cousin, Concubine Pei understood Yan Ting far too well.

He was always cautious in doing things, and was very strict. Towards Shen Yi Yao and her children, he was always very considerate and treated them with the utmost respect and dignity. He looked to be the model husband and father all around. He even made Concubine Pei act respectfully as well.

Sometimes Concubine Pei felt that Shen Yi Yao wasn't the only one who was fooled. He fooled himself too.

At first, Concubine Pei was fooled as well. She was aggrieved and unresigned. She felt abandoned by her cousin, but why would he take her as concubine if he abandoned her? If he wasn't abandoning her, why was he showing the utmost concern and love towards Shen Yi Yao? If she was the slightest bit disrespectful towards her, he would scold her strictly.

She only found out the truth when she tried something secretly once. Perhaps Concubine Pei had been too sullen, or perhaps she was truly dissatisfied. Her move was extremely small, but it was discovered by Yan Ting. This time however, he didn't scold her. He only looked at her with a profound gaze.

This gaze made Concubine Pei feel both worried yet overjoyed. She felt that she realized something. After testing things out little by little, starting out bit by bit, she finally figured out Yan Ting's deepest thoughts.

At that moment, she had been overjoyed at the unexpected realization. She hated Shen Yi Yao. If it wasn't for her, she definitely could have married the cousin she had a crush on for a long time. Every time she pulled a scheme or screwed her over a little, she felt uncontrollably excited.

She took all sorts of advantage and pandered to him in every aspect. Her cousin grew to cherish her more and more.

But she gradually also felt a sense of inexplicable sorrow. Everyone said that Yan Ting had feelings for her, including her aunt. Only she herself knew that her cousin had always been very cold to her in the past.