Chapter 104 - Part 2

Shen Yi Yao got angry in front of Chen-shi for the first time. Chen-shi stammered, saying second sis-in-law was spending too much and she didn't have the authority to handle it.

This was to say they needed the old madam's approval.

Xue-shi had come with Shen Yi Yao to find Chen-shi. Seeing Chen-shi avoiding responsibility, she couldn't help but mock: "Third sis-in-law, a miss coming of age in the estate isn't a small matter. We could only let it go for the eldest miss's coming of age. It's our eldest lord's fault for being incapable, so it was fine to hold a small event by ourselves. However, Ah Yan is the second brother's principal daughter, and is the true young mistress of the estate. She's also the future fourth prince consort, so how can we be stingy here!?"

After a pause, she continued: "Also, your words aren't pleasing to my ears. What do you mean by second sis-in-law is spending too much? Is this event something that can be skimped on? We can't make a joke of ourselves in front of others."

Chen-shi hit her mouth in annoyance and continuously admitted fault: "Second sis-in-law, I'm clumsy with words and that wasn't what I meant. But you also know the household's silver is managed by mom. I'm only the household manager in name, and there are many things I don't have the authority to decide. There isn't any surplus silver in the account, and I also can't just conjure it into existence."

Shen Yi Yao's expression wasn't good. She turned and left.

The vendors who had delivered goods to the estate were still waiting for their payment. Shen Yi Yao could only use her own silver to pay for it.

Xue-shi said she was foolish, and that she shouldn't do this no matter how much silver she had. This was implying that Yan Yan wasn't a miss in the estate. For her mom to use her own silver in holding a coming of age ceremony, it was unreasonable no matter how one looked at it.

Shen Yi Yao also didn't feel comfortable, and these words poked at her heart. Therefore, she and Xue-shi went to see the old madam.

When the two arrived, Chen-shi was there as well, seemingly telling the old madam about this matter.
Seeing Shen Yi Yao, Chen-shi looked a little awkward.

She had naturally come to report things, and took the opportunity to put Shen Yi Yao down as well.
She said Shen Yi Yao was like a spoiled lady from a wealthy household, insisting on using the best for everything. A rough estimate showed she had used at least three thousand taels, and that was an underestimate. She said no matter how well-off the household was, it couldn't withstand Shen Yi Yao acting this way.

Chen-shi had been managing the household for a while. The old madam was nitpicky and she had been berated a lot. The silver was also tightly managed and the old madam was very stingy. Chen-shi wasn't a generous person to begin with, and she gradually felt that since she was managing things, Shen Yi Yao spending more would make her suffer a loss.

These days things weren't going smoothly for the old madam. She initially expected to get some silver from their farmsteads, but the weather unexpectedly changed during harvest season. The managers all reported that this year's harvest had suffered calamity. Forget about any harvest, they might not even make rent.

The household was already on the verge of being exposed. Hearing Chen-shi say that a coming of age ceremony required three thousand taels, how could the old madam's expression be pleasant? She was scolding Shen Yi Yao for being a wastrel when the servants reported the second madam had come.

Therefore, the moment Shen Yi Yao came in, the old madam fired off the first round.
"I heard old third daughter-in-law say that you plan on holding a coming of age ceremony for Ah Yan, and that it has to be grand. Just the expenses are several thousand taels?"