Chapter 84.2

But she had already been punished. As a concubine in name only, she had to rely on the eldest madam for a living and would never have it easy. She was very submissive, and basically acted like a kitten or puppy. She fell just short of saying all she wanted was a bite of food.

Someone hateful yet tragic like this made it hard for Xue-shi to even hate her.

She could only vent her anger on Yan Ling. Actually Yan Ling's life wasn't bad. At least Xue-shi had never abused her, starved her or let her freeze. At most, she wasn't treated like a miss from the Yan household, and had to eke out a living under her principal mother and sister's noses.

At that time Yan Yan had only listened to the story out of interest. Only after Xue-shi and Yan Ling's attitudes changed recently did she understand its significance.

Everyone had difficulties in their lives that wouldn't go away just because they wanted it to. Life was also complicated, and wasn't all black and white. Often times, it wasn't possible to decide what was right and what was wrong.

Just like Xue-shi and Yan Ling. Also just like Shen Yi Yao and her.

Because of these realizations, Yan Yan's distance with Shen Yi Yao improved a little more. Others wouldn't be able to tell. Only Yan Yan herself knew.

***
Yan Qian listened to Concubine Wu after all. She went to the Jinse Pavilion bright and early the next day.

Although the maids didn't give her pleasant expressions, they didn't overstep their bounds. When they announced her, Shen Yi Yao allowed her to enter.

Yan Qian looked bashful and timid. She said softly that she hadn't been feeling well recently and delayed in paying respects to the principal mother. She begged for forgiveness.

Shen Yi Yao's gaze was complicated when she looked at her. Yan Qian looked too much like Concubine Pei, making her involuntarily recall how that frail and respectful person manipulated her.

She couldn't bear to recall the past. Shen Yi Yao's expression was dull. "It's good that you've recovered. Second miss came a little early so sit for a bit. Wait for Ah Yan and the rest to come before we head over to pay respects at the Rongan Hall.

After speaking, she got up and went to the inner room, not wanting to remain a second longer.
After entering, Cui Qiao said quietly: "Madam, why are you being so nice? She can be sick when she wants to and come when she wants to? Who gave her such face?"

Shen Yi Yao smiled, "She's just a child, no need to bicker with her."

"But...." Cui Qiao's face was full of worry. "This servant is reminded of that Concubine Pei whenever I see the second miss. Madam mustn't be softhearted and let your guard down. The second miss knows why Concubine Pei was sent to the nunnery. She definitely hates us!"

Shen Yi Yao was amused by Cui Qiao's expression. "Enough, it's not as serious as you think. Do you know why she came and put on a show of weakness?"

Cui Qiao shook her head.

Shen Yi Yao smiled and didn't answer. Perhaps she hadn't figured it out before, but after seeing Yan Qian run over to the Jinse Pavilion in an unprecedented display, she figured out what was going on.

Having gotten along with Shen Yi Yao for a while now, the maids had grown rather gutsy. Cui Qiao sidled over and acted coquettishly, "Madam, hurry and say it. This servant is about to die from curiosity."

"Do you know what's most important for a girl?"

"What?"

"Marriage."