Chapter 109

Due to Chen-shi's ruckus, the little bit of energy the old madam had finally regained was scattered again.
In the middle of the night, the Rongan Hall made a fuss about calling for a doctor, saying the old madam wasn't doing well.

The lamps at the various pavilions were lit. Everyone put on their clothes and hurried over to the Rongan Hall. A doctor was called and medicine was brewed. This lasted until dawn before everyone could finally rest.

At first Xue-shi's group was worried that something had really happened to the old madam. After staying past midnight, they noticed that the old madam was putting on an act. Chen-shi had reason on her side previously, but after this performance it made it seem like she was in the wrong.

Look how tragic the old madam was. She was tormented to this extent by her children at her age. They didn't appreciate her efforts in managing the household early on. They squandered away the household fortune without bringing in income, and are now complaining about their old mom. They also disregarded her illness and made a fuss in front of the sickbed. Now her illness got worse and her life was in danger.

This was what the old madam wanted to express more or less with her actions.

Xue-shi was glad that her husband was a steady one. He had persuaded her several times, which allowed her to avoid being the one that stepped up. The third lord Yan Qu's expression wasn't too good the entire night. Chen-shi's eyes were swollen and red. She looked bedraggled and shrank on the side without daring to speak. Shen Yi Yao and Yan Yan sat on the side and didn't say anything either. The younger generation didn't need to come, but Yan Yan was afraid Shen Yi Yao wouldn't be able to handle this sort of situation by herself. Therefore, she pulled an all-nighter to accompany her.

When Yan Ting arrived at the Rongan Hall, he was greeted with this scene.

After finding out about the situation, his face was dark.

Matron Zhao sobbed and complained on the side: "When the old marquis passed away back then, the estate's situation was already deteriorating. You three lords were also aware of this. These years the situation hasn't improved. Such a large household comes with large expenses that couldn't be covered by the income. This was why the old madam had ordered for expenses to be cut despite the disagreements that arose. The old madam had to worry about dignity but also the reality, how could she keep it up...."

These words made everyone fall silent. Even if they knew she was obscuring the facts, no one dared to refute her.

This was because the old madam almost passed away due to this matter. At least, that's what it seemed like on the surface, no matter if it was true or not.

Who wanted to get the reputation of causing their mom's death over wealth and property? Did they not plan to keep living afterwards!? This was why Yan Zhi kept silent even if he knew things weren't so simple.

The Grand Xi emphasized filial piety. Just this concept alone had suppressed many people firmly!
"Enough, no need to speak further!" Yan Ting waved his hand and interrupted. He said gloomily: "How is the old madam doing at the moment?"

Matron Zhao wiped her tears and sobbed: "The old madam suffered too much stimulation yesterday and almost couldn't last through the night. Since we called the doctor and gave her medicine, she is now fine. The doctor said the old madam cannot suffer any more stimulation."

"Second brother, it's all due to the lacking upbringing in my branch!"

Compared to Chen-shi, Yan Qu's thoughts were a lot more innocent. He thought that because Chen-shi was insensible, she had angered their mom. He naturally felt rather guilty. The third branch's properties were important, but not more important that filial piety. No matter what Yan Qu truly thought in his heart, he still had to express this on the surface.