Chapter 28

Because she had stopped by the Jinse Pavilion, by the time Yan Yan arrived, everyone else was already present.

At the seat of honor position, on the cedar inlaid sandalwood arhat bed with mountain and river patterns sat Old Madam Yan with a benevolent and amicable expression. Beneath her were two rows of sandalwood rattan chairs with curled grass patterns, upon which sat the eldest madam Xue-shi, second madam Shen Yi Yao and third madam Chen-shi.

The eldest miss Yan Ru and the fourth miss Yan Ling sat next to Xue-shi on small stools. Behind Yan Ling stood her biological mother, Concubine Wang. The third branch's madam Chen-shi was a delicate and pretty woman. On the stools beside her sat sixth miss Yan Xia and seventh miss Yan Juan. The two of them were still young, one was seven and the other was eight. They were fair and tender, both looking cute and obedient.

Shen Yi Yao sat at the first chair on the left. On her right sat the fifth miss Yan Chan and second miss Yan Qian. Concubine Pei and Concubine Wu stood behind them.

Concubines didn't get a seat during such occasions, not even Concubine Pei.

The people from the three branches were all divided into their own groups, and all the women in the Weiyuan Marquis Estate were present.

The third young master Yan Hong was present as well. He sat on the old madam's arhat bed and was held in her arms. The rules of the estate stated that once boys turned ten, they didn't have to come pay respects daily in case it delayed their studies. It was fine to come every once in a while. Yan Mo should have been present as well, but since he was bedridden, he didn't come today.

The old madam liked liveliness, so the Rongan Hall was the liveliest during the daily paying of respects.
Yan Yan saluted the old madam, and then did the same to her aunts Xue-Shi and Chen-shi. She then sat next to Old Madam Yan under her eager encouragement.

Yan Hong sat on the old madam's left when Yan Mo wasn't present. Based on the same reasoning, Yan Qian sat in Yan Yan's spot when she wasn't present.

They had always been substitutes. No wonder Yan Qian and Yan Hong hated Yan Yan and Yan Mo. But they never considered the fact that their mother was a concubine. If it weren't for her being the old madam's niece and the Weiyuan Marquis's cousin, they wouldn't even get to sit by the old madam's side based on their status.

But many people preferred to blame others instead of doing some self-reflection. Therefore, Yan Yan received two gazes of loathing, one of which faintly contained some malice.

Yan Yan raised her brows and returned the gaze, scaring Yan Hong into hurriedly lowering his head.
Because Yan Yan had made a huge fuss, Yan Hong had been locked up in the small worship hall for three days.

Whether or not his treatment inside had been the same as Yan Yan's, the experience was still carved deeply into his bones. Mei Xiang had told Yan Yan about this when she got back. Yan Yan was merely dissatisfied at the malice in Yan Hong's gaze.
"Did Yan Yan have a good time at grandfather's place? Why does grandmother feel little lass Yan seems to have lost weight?"

After Yan Yan sat down, Old Madam Yan warmly wrapped her arms around her.

"Ah Yan had a great time at grandfather's place." Yan Yan half lowered her eyes and said quietly.

Her body was slightly rigid. She wasn't someone good at acting, and if she felt revulsion and hatred towards someone, she wasn't able to act intimate. She had this feeling early on, and after she understood more and more as time went by, things became more serious. Now she even felt like struggling free.

However, she still managed to suppress the urge, though wasn't able to force a smile.

Old Madam Yan was experienced and could naturally sense it. She released her with a smile, not letting anything show on the surface. In her heart she cursed this little lass for refusing to accept her goodwill, as though she were all that!