Chapter 78.2

Luo Huai Yuan had never been given a commendation before. Today counted as a new experience for him.

The town was filled with crying and white banners were hung everywhere. The atmosphere was depressing and there weren't many people on the roads. There was a simple and crude stage erected in front of the county yamen's doors. Bailiffs were swiftly running along the streets while beating gongs. Before long, everyone in the town knew there was a matter that required everyone to assemble.

Around half an hour later, the area in front of the doors were filled with the townfolk.

The magistrate was a wizened man who had a goatee. Together with administrator Qin Shan, they appeared on the stage. There were two round chairs on the stage and the two of them sat down.

At the sound of a gong, the crowd fell silent. The county deputy held a piece of document and read it out loud in a clear voice.

The crowd generally understood the intentions of those above. They were planning to commend the heroic teenager in front of the crowd. Everyone had heard what happened by the southern gates. It was said a teenager who was only around twelve had led the crowd in fighting back against the pirates. The casualties were tragically high in the other areas. Although the southern gates had quite a few injured, not a single person had died.

Under such miserable circumstances, this was already extremely good news. Therefore, the people didn't raise any objections to the officials commending a teenager instead of figuring out how to deal with the pirates.

Soon, a plump teenager with a chubby face and round eyes appeared on the stage. He had a crimson flower tied to his chest.

Cheers sounded from both on and off the stage. The bailiffs and soldiers cheered to support their superior's interests but the crowd cheered for real.

This town wasn't large and if anything major happened, everyone would know within half a day. Although what happened yesterday made them feel a lot of grief, it also gave them hope. Many people wondered after the fact that if they hadn't run, and had fought the pirates like those at the southern gates, would things have turned out better?

This question was worth serious consideration.

Luo Huai Yuan squirmed on stage and felt like dying. Although he had been prepared, he still didn't expect it would be such an embarrassing scene. There was even that flower made of red cloth on his chest. He wasn't some fat pig that was about to be used as an offering.

Lady Hui pursed her lips in a smile below the stage. Xiao An Zi also squinted from smiling and the guards couldn't resist doing so as well.

Luo Huai Yuan stood there foolishly, continuing to listen to the deputy speak as if reciting.

In a flash, he understood. This so called "motivational speech" wasn't stirring at all. He glanced at the magistrate and Qin Shan's expression. The magistrate seemed to be alright with it. He had a legal background and this sort of rote speech suited him rather well. Perhaps he was the one who wrote the script. Qin Shan didn't look too happy but he also wasn't in charge here. What could he say about it?

With this kind of motivational speech, it would be weird if it was effective!

Suddenly, Luo Huai Yuan was gently pushed from behind. A bailiff quietly told him to step forward.

The deputy extended a hand and looked encouragingly at him. "This little brother Chen Yun. How about saying a word or two to everyone?"
Chen Yun was the fake name Luo Huai Yuan used on this trip. It was his name in the modern world.

Luo Huai Yuan raised his brows, "You're really going to let me speak?"

The deputy nodded, the magistrate nodded and Qin Shan nodded as well.