Chapter 90.2

Pei Jia Yi cried and scolded her sister for not stopping things from happening. But she also understood that little ancestor Wu Qiong Qiong's personality. Who would be able to stop her? But this matter was different. If they were blamed, the Pei household's misses would have their reputations ruined. But were they allowed not to take the blame?
Ever since their grandfather was fired and exiled, their household had been declining day by day.

Luckily due to this marriage of hers, her household was able to rest a little easier.

Only Pei Jia Yi herself knew the difficult situation her household was in. The Wu household didn't have an arranged marriage with the Pei household at all. It was just a sort of tacit understanding.

She had been looking forward to her marriage, but only after it happened did she realize how much suffering was involved. Her husband and his cousin were childhood friends and their households had already decided on marrying them. Suddenly an obstacle came up and became his wife. Her husband didn't favor her and neither did her mother-in-law. The marriage had been arranged by High Official Wu, but he wouldn't care about the situation of the rear residence.

Pei Jia Yi had washed her face with tears countless times. Unexpectedly, this matter today ended up occurring. How was she supposed to explain things to her maternal household? This matter involved every miss in her household. Her second and third aunt naturally wouldn't let it sit. Her mom would be the one being troubled.

This won't be mentioned for now.

The next day, Eldest Madam Wu went to the Zhenguo Duke Estate to apologize. The reason she didn't go to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate was because yesterday's matter had been intercepted by Second Madam Shen.

Whether she apologized wasn't important. It was the formality everyone was looking for. Seeing the Wu household's people apologizing, the people paying attention to this matter understood even more clearly that this was truly the Wu household's fault. Then it went without saying that the Zhenguo Duke's granddaughter was truly slandered by the Wu household's miss.

No one knew how the Wu household explained things to the Zhenguo Duke Estate. They merely knew that the Wu household brought a lot of apology gifts to the Zhenguo Duke Estate and left empty handed.

These things were packed up by Second Madam Shen and all sent over to the Weiyuan Marquis Estate. Yan Yan gained a small fortune because of this.

Soon after, rumors spread that this matter had a different cause. It involved the miss of the previous Assistant Minister Pei's household....

This matter was spread far and wide. Everyone in the capital more or less knew about it.

The Pei household had expected to suffer a little. They couldn't help it since they weren't as influential. However, Eldest Madam Wu had gone overboard. It was sufficient to just leak the matter a little and leave them some room to maneuver. The Pei household had planned on pushing the matter onto Yan Qian and say she had ulterior motives in deceiving Pei Jia Yu. They were even prepared to erase her from the family registry and break off their relationship. Unexpectedly, Eldest Madam Wu didn't leave them any room to retreat. Not only did she make it known to everyone, she even insisted that Pei Jia Yu had led her innocent daughter astray.

Which household didn't have several misses? Even if Eldest Madam Pei was willing to swallow this grievance for the sake of her daughter who married into the Wu household, the others weren't willing.
Therefore, this was the start of a huge catfight.

The Pei household was naturally no match for the Wu household. First of all their statuses were uneven. The Pei household's women had suffered several losses and they grew resentful. Old grudges added onto new ones, and they ended up publicly revealing that the imperial examination scandal's culprit was actually High Official Wu. As for Assistant Minister Pei, he had been forced to take the blame.