Chapter 27

Yan Yan got up before dawn the next day.

Ever since she started learning martial arts when she was five, she would get up at this time to train for an hour and a half. This habit had become set in stone over the years. The servants in the Ningxiang Chambers also knew the third miss's habit. They would light the lamps and prepare breakfast and hot water bright and early for Yan Yan.

When Yan Yan had first started training, there had been a small training area in the estate. Two years ago, people had instigated her mom into shutting it down. Yan Yan thus relocated to the small courtyard behind the Ningxiang Chambers. Although the area wasn't large, it was at least her own place. As long as she shut the doors, no one could say anything about it.

She first jogged to warm up, and then stood in horse-stance on the plum-blossom pillars. Then she went through a set of basic moves and whip techniques. All this took exactly one and a half hours, and the eastern skies had just turned bright.

Yan Yan wore her tight-fitted crimson training outfit along with leggings and a pair of little red riding boots with white soles. Her cheeks were crimson and her eyes were bright. Although sweat trickled down from her hair onto her face, she wasn't even out of breath.

Lady Hui saw Yan Yan stop and walked up with a towel.

"Third miss, wipe your sweat off first. Your whip skills are getting better and better."

"Still not as impressive as Lady Hui. Who knows when I can get to your level?"

Yan Yan had seen Lady Hui's skills before. The whip moved like flowing water in her hands, and even just her incredible achievements in Qinggong made one envious. Unfortunately, despite having trained with Lady Hui for five years, Yan Yan wasn't able to scale walls as though walking on flat ground like she did. She could merely climb trees a little more agilely.

Lady Hui pursed her lips in a smile and put the towel back on the tray, saying: "Third miss is of high status. There isn't much use in learning martial arts. It's fine to just learn it superficially. Lady Hui's techniques don't suit you."

"Why?"

Every time Yan Yan asked this question, Lady Hui never answered. However, this time she said after hesitating for a while: "Lady Hui's techniques are for killing people."

"Killing people?"

Lady Hui nodded, her gaze steady.

Lady Hui had spoken the words "killing people" extremely indifferently, as though it wasn't a big deal. Only at this moment did the withdrawn and ordinary looking woman seem a little special. She was normally low-key and unobtrusive at the Weiyuan Marquis Estate.

Hearing lady Hui say this, Yan Yan was merely surprised but not confused. This was because she still knew a little of Lady Hui's identity.

Lady Hui wasn't an ordinary person. Put it this way. She was part of the martial world, and had long since made a name for herself there as an expert. Although the "striking twin mallards" couldn't be called widely renowned, they were still significantly famous.

Of course, it was only famous within the circles of martial arts. To outsiders, they were merely a bunch of lowly mercenaries licking blood off their blades.
Those who were truly skilled could occupy mountains as bandits or found their own schools and guilds. Some also chose to risk their lives for the wealthy. Lady Hui and her husband had worked as mercenaries for a major salt trader.

Private salt traders always dealt in large transactions, and there were many who secretly coveted their wealth. On the surface, authorities also spared no efforts in cracking down on private salt traders. No matter how skilled they were, a pair of hands would have trouble going against four. Therefore, authorities merely scoffed disdainfully at those messing around with martial arts.