Chapter 66

Cui Qiao felt her heart pounding.

She was born into the Weiyuan Marquis Estate but hadn't been doing too well.

She was an only child and her parents were both honest and clumsy people. She couldn't get any of the good assignments, and was left with the difficult and thankless tasks.

She started working when she was eight years old and started off as a sweeper lass. She became an errand girl for the Jinse Pavilion, and then a junior maid within the main residence. After so many years, the various things happening within the estate was seen by her. But since she was just a little lass, how could she get involved in the affairs of her masters? She might as well keep quiet and work obediently.

Because of the third miss, the Jinse Pavillion's people were regularly switched out. The servants all felt threatened, not by the whip but rather by the thought of having to leave such a good place. She was the same way. Unexpectedly, when Fang Cao and Fang Cui were beaten to death, the two senior maid spots were freed up. She was promoted along with Cui Ping.

Cui Qiao was very afraid of the third miss. This fear was present in her heart ever since she was a junior maid. This was why she tried to get in her good books despite being promoted to senior maid.
After all this time she was able to tell that all those who went against the third miss ended up suffering. Fang Cao and Fang Cui didn't serve the madam properly and became Concubine Pei's lackeys. They deserved their fates.

As for the matter today, Cui Qiao was clear that she had become embroiled in it. The old madam was angry at the madam, which was why Matron Zhao dared to treat this matter superficially.

Actually, Cui Qiao absolutely could have dropped the matter after returning form the Rongan Hall. She was just a powerless servant. Nothing would happen to the madam due to a night of fever. But she wasn't willing to do so. The madam was a good person and treated the servants in the Jinse Pavilion well. What others thought and did had nothing to do with Cui Qiao. She wasn't able to do something that went against her conscience.

This was why she went and called the third miss in the middle of the night.

Cui Qiao's hand was suddenly held fast.
"Your hands are so cold. Are you cold?"

There were little lasses holding lamps walking behind so it wasn't dark. The weather was just cold, and the freezing wind blew onto their necks.
Her hand was gently patted. "Don't be afraid. You are a loyal one and the third miss knows this. We truly have something to report so it cannot be helped if we disturb the old madam."

Cui Qiao nodded.

When they arrived at the Rongan Hall and reported their reason for coming, the lights in the side room of the main residence were quickly lit.

Matron Zhao came out with a jacket draped over her.
"You've actually made another trip back. Did the third miss get woken up by the ruckus? Really, you lass. If you told this old woman about such a major matter, would we still stop you? Why did you leave just like that, and even disturbed the third miss?"

Cui Qiao lowered her head. She was going to speak but was pulled behind someone.

She heard Matron Zou's gentle words. "This lass was only recently promoted and was momentarily panicked. But she is quite loyal, and merely needs to be properly taught in the future. We've inconvenienced this old sis at this late hour. You should hurry and go rest. It'll be fine as long as you order the side door to be opened."

"The madam is feverish. How can I go back to sleep? Let me send you back."

"No need, no need. We'll be leaving now. Just wanted to let give you a heads up. You know what the third miss's temper is like. Since the granny guarding the side door refused to accept face when given it and delayed the Jinse Pavilion's matter, the third miss has ordered for her to be slapped. Please inform the old madam when she wakes up tomorrow and ask her to consider that the third miss's actions stemmed from filial piety."