Chapter 26

The Weiyuan Marquis Estate had three branches. Unlike the second and third branch, the first branch's Eldest Lord Yan was not birthed by Old Madam Yan.

That year Old Madam Yan failed to get pregnant for two years after her marriage. When she finally got pregnant, she gave birth to a daughter. She could be said to have been at her wits end, and to avoid giving her mother-in-law an excuse to arrange people into her husband's room, Old Madam Yan chose one of the honest maids by her side to fill in as the chambermaid.

That chambermaid's luck was extremely good. She got pregnant soon after and ten months later gave birth to a boy. This was the Eldest Lord Yan Zhi. She was someone on "her side" and had also intelligently handed the baby over to Old Madam Yan right after he was born. Seeing this, Old Madam Yan didn't think to get rid of the mother while keeping the child.

After all, it wasn't like she herself couldn't give birth and the Grand Xi also emphasized the principal line. A concubine borne child wouldn't be able to go over her child's head. Furthermore, the chambermaid's entire family belonged to Old Madam Yan and their contracts were all in her hands. There was nothing for her to worry about.

Perhaps Yan Zhi brought some luck. Old Madam Yan soon became pregnant after raising him for a short time. This time she gave birth to a boy. This was the second son of the estate, Yan Ting.

After giving birth to Yan Ting, Old Madam Yan didn't throw Yan Zhi to the side. She still raised him within her own home. At that time she had her in-laws to consider and needed to appear kind and virtuous.

Within two years, Old Madam Yan became pregnant once again. She gave birth to another boy, the third lord Yan Qu.

Although Yan Zhi was birthed by a concubine, Old Madam Yan had raised him herself the entire time. After all these years, there was bound to be some emotional attachment. Once he grew older, he recognized his principal mother first and concubine mother second. Furthermore, he remained lukewarm towards his own concubine mother.

This made Old Madam Yan very satisfied.
After her father and mother-in-law passed away in succession, her own husband became the Weiyuan Marquis. Then, after her husband fell seriously ill and passed away, her son Yan Ting became the Weiyuan Marquis. The Weiyuan Marquis Estate had two separate areas. Yan Zhi had a few sons with his concubines, and when the previous marquis passed away, they were all sent off to live in the auxiliary location. Their days were rather miserable.

Yan Zhi, as the oldest son in the family, still remained properly within the Weiyuan Marquis Estate. He naturally needed to be wise and keen sighted. The disturbances within the second branch recently did not escape the first branch's eyes.

However, they weren't the Weiyuan Marquis Estate's principal line, and were also smart people. They naturally wouldn't get involved. Especially since the first branch's Eldest Lord Yan wasn't birthed by the old madam. Although the Eldest Madam Yan Xue-shi often noticed things, she pretended to be deaf and mute. She only appeared when it was appropriate, and remained invisible the rest of the time.

For example, now was the time their first branch should make an appearance.

"Hurry and go find the third miss to play. She just came back from the Zhenguo Duke Estate. It's said there's several carriages of good things. Go sweet talk your second aunt and you won't be lacking in benefits." Xue-Shi told her daughter Yan Ru.

Xue-shi had a long face, fine eyes and brows, as well as a pair of razor-thin lips. At this moment her face was all smiles and her eyes contained a sharp light.

The eldest miss Yan Ru hemmed and hawed. She was eleven this year and resembled Xue-shi, her eyes and brows were clear and faint, appearing rather elegant. Although she had the same thoughts in mind, having her intentions laid bare by her mom still made the young girl feel resentful.